Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Roots!

Back in December, Jay "lost" his first tooth!

And I say that tongue in cheek because I certainly wouldn't call the process of how it happened as normal or losing the teeth...

Back at his dentist appointment in early 2016, they took some X-rays and it showed Jay's permanent teeth were coming in pretty far behind his baby teeth. Then in August, they looked again and they were WAY behind the baby teeth. The dentist told us that the permanent teeth were too far back to eat up the roots, so Jay wouldn't be losing his teeth in the conventional way. He told us as soon as the permanent teeth broke the surface we needed to come in to have his teeth pulled or else they would settle too far back.

I have been watching those things like a hawk. And lo and behold, that permanent tooth popped through the beginning of December. I called the dentist's office that day and they said to come in asap.

Permanent tooth in and behind the baby teeth



Two days later we were in! I was nervous that it was going to be painful and awful for him (though I didn't project that at all to him!). I was remembering having to have teeth pulled when I was younger and I was picturing the dentist with a leg up on the table and pliers and just yanking! Maybe a little dramatic, but I was fearful.

We got to the office and they immediately put some gas on his nose and the nasty deadening stuff in his lower lip. I could tell when he started to get a little loopy and relaxed. The dentist came in and told him he was going to check out his teeth while he watched a movie on the ceiling. During that, he super sneakily gave him the shot in his lower gums. Jay had NO clue. I was AMAZED!

Gas mask

The sneaky shot. He had no clue! 


He let the shot sink in for another ten minutes or so. Meanwhile Jay was happily watching the Peanuts movie and the little girls were playing.



The dentist came back in and sat down. He said, "Jay, I'm going to try to wiggle your teeth a little." He got a piece of gaze, and "wiggled" and then handed it to the nurse. I looked at them and mouthed, "Are you going to pull them now?" and they said, "They are already out!"

I was AMAZED! It seriously took .1 second to do it and there was no tugging or anything (and those suckers were NOT loose!)!! I about fell over!

As the dentist was cleaning everything up, I told him how amazed I was! He said, "There are two things I do really really well- deadening and pulling!" And man, was he right! I have never seen anything like that! Unbelievable!

Check out the roots on those suckers!! Yowza!


Jay sat up and was fine. He HATED the numb feeling and wouldn't close his mouth or swallow or anything, but other than that, he was such a trooper. That boy never ceases to amaze me. Where a lot of kids would freak out or cry and whine, he did nothing!

Deep, deep grooves!

Back to normal and playing later! 
LOVING his new look!



It was such an easy process! I am SO thankful for our pediatric dentist! He is the very best!

Jay wrote a letter to the tooth fairy later. He was so excited for her to come that night... and she did not disappoint! Since it was his first tooth/teeth and they came out in such an odd way, he was very well taken care of  :)



2 comments:

ChelseaSalomone said...

Sweet Jay!! I'm so glad to hear it was an easy process. I would have been nervous too. I had to have all of my teeth pulled this same way as a kid. My only memory of it was the laughing gas tasted good and I always got Braums Sherbert afterwards. :)

Courtney Bullen said...

What a trooper! Have to love awesome dentists.
Hope y'all are staying safe and relatively dry in all this crazy rain!!