Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Kelsey at 7 Months!

Unreal. We made it to SEVEN months!!!




Ok so this month was a HUGE turning point for Kelsey. She morphed into this amazing, happy, sweet, loving little baby! I don't know if it was hitting that 6 month mark, or actually getting some sleep (more on that in a sec!), but dang, she is SO much happier!!!




So, on that note....
I told Anthony all I wanted for Christmas was this particular sleep trainer lady to help us! And I was so serious. 6 months and the longest stretch of sleep I had ever gotten was 3 hours (and that was only once or twice). BRUTAL. If she had been like Molly and actually slept in our bed but just nursed all night long, I wouldn't have cared. But she was SO restless- and it was just getting worse and worse. Pure desperation led me to ask the Sleep Lady for help.

One Sunday about a month ago, I called her. We had a three hour phone consultation! Anthony says she didn't tell me anything I already didn't know. BUT, she did make me feel ok to carry it out. The reason I wanted this lady in particular was the fact that she is an anti-cry it out lady. Now, before you go jumping on that, realize that if YOU want to cry it out, I'm fine with that. I just know my limits and know that I couldn't put my baby in her bed at 7 and not come in again until 7 the next morning. I just can't do it. I'd rather wake a million times that listen to my baby scream and cry (or know that they are).

So anyway, Amanda was great. She put a lot of things into perspective and sold me on, "If she was sleeping well in your bed and you enjoyed that, I'd say, fine! Why change it? But the fact that she's fussing and not sleeping is her way of telling you that's not what she wants or needs." That was powerful to me. I was actually doing Kelsey a disservice by NOT sleep training her.

I bit the bullet two nights later and did it. And I'm not going to lie- it was basically a glorified cry it out. Basically, I was in there all night long. When she woke, I talked to her and reassured her and loved on her, but kept putting her back into her crib and helping her learn to sleep in her crib. It was the worst night ever. She cried for 40 straight minutes and I cried right there with her! Ha! But I then tried to put it in perspective... kelsey will go through worse things in her life than laying in a comfortable, warm bed with her mom sitting right next to her telling her how much she loves her while teaching her an invaluable skill. I clung to that and it helped me through.

Fast forward a month.... sleep is nowhere near perfect (she is still waking to eat 3 times a night!), but SHE IS SLEEPING IN BETWEEN THE FEEDINGS IN HER CRIB. You can tell she is happier and healthier because of it. Seriously! And putting her down is a DREAM. She goes happily and quickly. It's amazing the difference it made in her!


So, on that note, here is the rest of how she is doing at 7 months!
-Nursing about every 2.5-4 hours throughout the day. Eating solids at every chance she gets. No baby food- table food only! She's a great eater and loves to eat!
-Great job napping. I've made it a priority to get her about an hour in the morning and about 1.5-2.5 in the afternoon
-Crawling all ove the house, pulling up, going up the stairs, beginning cruising... YIKES! She is our most physical and earliest to do all of this! It's crazy to watch her because she's so petite!
-Likes to go to and play with other people for now. Loves the nursery at church because there are so many kids and toys!
-Actually seems to be the bully/agressor! She seeks out other kids and touches them, pulls up on them, etc. She of course isn't actually aggressive or mean (yet), but she really likes to engage other babies! None of the others were ever like this!
-No teeth
-Loves to talk and babble. Has mastered the /b/ sound and will occasionally thrown a /m/ sound in there! I discovered she could babble meh meh and stand up when she was crying in her crib yelling at me! Ack!
-Size 3 diapers, size 6 clothes are really getting too short! She's a very tall and very lean girl!
-Loves all of her family! Gets so happy seeing siblings, pets, daddy, cousins, grandparents... She's just become SO happy!
-Loves to crawl around and play by herself! She will entertain herself for a while now with all the freedom she has!
-Loves to put every little thing in her mouth. I've never had to watch one so closely! Yikes!
-Seems to have a sweet little raspy voice. I freaking love it! I would love for it to stay raspy forever! I think that's so cute!




I'm so pleased that she's turned over a new leaf! It makes for a happy mommy and baby!

Kelsey, we love you! We've known you had the potential to be so happy and loving and mom is so sorry she created such bad habits early on to make you miserable! We've made it better though and are loving EVERY second with you! You are my little buddy!!

No comments: