Friday, May 20, 2016

36 Weeks... For the Last Time!

36 weeks pregnant has come again. At the beginning of each pregnancy it feels like you might never get through the morning sickness, the exhaustion, the anticipation. And then the pregnancy flies by and all of a sudden you find yourself super pregnant and counting down days until your new baby makes their debut.

Each time I ask myself how it's possible to have these past (almost) 9 months come and go so quickly. And now that I'm on my fourth pregnancy, I still don't have that answer. Though I can tell you, my friend who uses the term "The days are long but the years are short" is DEAD ON.


36 weeks pregnant with my fourth child in six years has proven to be one of the hardest times yet. I have no major calamities or problems (thank you, Lord for that blessing), but the daily grind on me has been tough. My body is tired. My mind is tired. But I am overall healthy and so are (all!) of my children, so there could be much much worse circumstances to be in.

But for the girl on the go who feels like she can take on anything, having to slow down and take it (so much!) easier has been tough on me physically and mentally. I actually call in favors and say no instead of trying to do every single thing myself (Ride home from school? Canceling that appointment? Not going to a birthday party)- and that alone is a big deal for me. Also, not being able to physically keep up with the kids has been different for all of us- no zoo trips, no bike rides, not even being able to stand for longer than 30 minutes at a time... all a huge change from my former self.

So on one hand, I'm trying to cherish and appreciate the end of my last pregnancy ever. But on the same note, I'm looking forward to the day where my body gets back to normal and my energy level picks up (look, I'm not kidding myself- I know having a newborn with three other kids 5 and under is a challenge in itself, but if my body doesn't fail me, then at least I've got that on top of sleep deprivation!)!

We took the big kids to my appointment on Monday. Seeing as it was my last ultrasound ever, I wanted them to be able to see the baby on the screen. And they loved it. I'd like to pretend it was all roses and happiness, but baby had her hands covering her face and the technician didn't show too much "fluff" so it was just a little exciting. But a sweet time with my big kids anyway!



And I don't know how it happens, but inevitably, EVERY SINGLE TIME I have had an ultrasound I get tears in my eyes. There is just nothing in the world to me like watching this precious life inside of me. I will truly miss those sweet moments.

Anthony took the kids to school after my appointment and I had my exam. As hopeful as I was to have this baby early, it's just not looking like it's in the cards... I was only 1/2 cm dilated! I mean, really?! FOURTH KID?! Alas, I'll take it as a compliment that my body likes to cook babies and try to appreciate the "norm" for a while longer. And for the record, this was where I was with the other kids, and they all came within a few days of 40 weeks, so there's that. At least I know.

And they estimated her to be 6 lbs, 6 oz... If you know me you know how I feel about these things (people always get told they are going to have HUGE babies and very very rarely does that happen!)... So we shall see. That would be put her around 8 1/2 lbs by birth and that is actually not far fetched considering the girls were both 8 lbs, 3 oz.


36 Weeks with #4
Not sure about my random hair flip (?)
And this was taken by CK- not too shabby!

36 Weeks with Jay, 38 with CK, 36 with Molly 




So we just wait and stay busy and try not to think that every little BH contraction is the start of something bigger... One week at a time! :)

3 comments:

the blogivers said...

The post saying "she's here!" will be up before we know it!! Hang in there - just a few more weeks to go!

Kate said...

Jealous!! I'm ready for my sweet girl to get here too! But then again I need her to turn head down before I get to 36 weeks!!

Brittany said...

So exciting! You look wonderful! I can only imagine how exhausted your body must be the fourth time around. The third was SO much harder on my body than the first two. You are doing great! Can't wait to see hear about her arrival soon!