Sunday, September 20, 2015

Back to School Musings

So the kids have been back in school now for a couple of weeks.

I won't lie, I was all kinds of stressed thinking about having to get up and get Jay to school every day, then picking CK up at one time MWF, Molly up at another time on M/Th, and grab Jay at a different time than CK on MWF and then all alone on T/Th. Sigh- I'm tired just thinking about it.

But, the past few weeks have gone surprisingly well and I think we are adjusting to this new schedule just fine! Do I spend a lot of time in the car? YES! And while I could probably make this easier and think about carpools and all of that, I remind myself that THIS IS MY JOB right now, and somehow, that makes it so much easier. This is what I'm here for right now- running back and forth and getting the kids where they need to be. It's like a puzzle, and I LOVE puzzles!

Ask me again in April and I'll probably be singing a different tune! Ha!


Anyway, some musings from the first weeks of school (well, my biggest musing was already above, so check that one off the list)....

-See above

-Mornings aren't as bad as I thought they'd be. We have our little routine. Get up, feed pets, feed kids, change diapers, get clothes, Mommy gets ready, kids are dressed, make lunches, clean up breakfast, grab bags/brush hair and teeth/tie shoes, out the door! It's like a well oiled machine- and PLEASE don't anyone try to come in and mess it all up! :)

-Making lunches hasn't been as big of a pain as I thought. Jay is so easy- eats about the same thing every day. Molly was my worry, but since she isn't eating at school it doesn't really matter what I put in (ha!), and CK eats like a bird still so I can just pack fruits and dairy and we're good. No sandwiches in this house (NONE!). I swear my life would be a tiny easier if my kids would just eat sandwiches!

-Jay has done so well of course. He loves school and loves his friends. His teachers are such a blessing and answered prayer. He is doing well, behaving excellent, and making us proud!

-Charley Kate has acclimated well. She was so nervous about starting, but she seems to be doing very well. She loves going, loves her teachers, and is making friends. While Jay already knows every kid in his class and their life history, CK only remembers the names of the few she plays with. She will get there, she just has a different need than her brother.

-And sweet Molly... well, she doesn't cry the WHOLE time anymore. She screams at drop off and pick up, but they actually say she is happy between! I've even seen pictures! Ha! And I got a note on Thursday last week that she actually ate some strawberries at school (!!!!)- she's been refusing food while she's there. Anyway, I think we are making progress! Oh, and she also remembers the songs they sing in chapel which is ADORABLE!!!! I'll just hear her "singing" in the back of the car on the way home- hand motions and all!

-While it sounds like I should have a lot of freedom, it boils down to about 2 hours on Monday that I get all to myself. Between drop off here and pick up there and kids at school on different days, I have about 2 hours to myself every week. That sounds terrible, but honestly, it's just the right amount for me! Last week I got a haircut and even had time to run several errands after!

-I forgot how incredibly fast it is to run errands with no children. Un.Be.Lieve.Able. Seriously. I ran like 5 errands in 30 minutes last week and had 15 minutes to spare. Crazy.

-I really do miss my babies. We were in such a great spot this summer. So enjoyable, such great ages. It is so good for them to (slowly) to stretch their wings, but man, this momma bird loves a full nest!



Anyway, I'll report again in a few months when Molly has stopped crying (ha!) and the kids are all continuing to do well.

Thankful for a wonderful start to a great year!


1 comment:

Wendy said...

Thanks for sharing things like this. It encourages me to know other Moms are doing the same thing I am. So can I ask what time you wake up in the morning? I have been following your blog for a long time now, probably since your oldest was about 1, but I am just not one to comment normally. I just thought I would encourage you to keep up the work God has called you to right now!