Monday, August 31, 2015

Molly's First Day of School!

Molly had her first day of school today! While I wish I could report it was all sunshine and roses, it just wasn't (and I knew it wasn't going to be!).

It is no secret that I LOVE my babies and I LOVE having them home with me. But I know that it is good for them to be away from me and start interacting with the outside world and their peers, too. So I signed Molly up for MDO at our church-  the same place Jay went his first year. It is a sweet little school and the teachers all go to our church and are so loving and kind- a great fit.

My only hesitation has been that it's a full day- and I am just never ready for that (at any age frankly- ha!). Anyway, I had it in my mind that a full day away from the kids was good for me (and by full day I mean 9:30-2 of no kids). But something just wasn't sitting right as I prepared my mind for sending Molly to school.

Last night I was up until 1:30 just stressing and thinking of her. I knew it would be hard for her to acclimate being away from me, but picturing her laying on that nap mat was just too much. So at about 1:15 am I decided I was going to be picking her up before nap time each day- at 12:30- just like I had done with Jay! A few of my reasons- she doesn't nap until 2 or 2:30 and she takes a solid 2-3 hour nap at home and this would only allow her a 1-1.5 hour nap at school. There was just no reason to do it!

Once I came to terms with that, I could finally fall asleep- everything else would fall into place in time.


This morning we woke up, got everyone dressed, lunches made, supplies gathered, and headed that way. Jay and CK don't start school until next week, so we had a special day planned as "big kids."


This was actually at Meet the Teacher last week. 
Molly and cousin Hunter are in the same class! 

After I tried to put a bow in her hair!




The pictures at home went well! First step was over! Ha!

We got to school and it helped that big brother and big sister walked her in. We stopped to take a quick picture on the front bench- Molly was NOT happy already.

I'm absolutely obsessed with this picture. 
She. Was. Mad. 


We got in the room and she saw her future husband in there, so helped some! Love these two cuties and so thankful they are in there together!



Once she realized it was time, I bolted out and then the screaming/crying started. Ugh... I was actually fine until I saw the ladies up front who worked there. I tried to explain to them that I was picking her up at 12:30 instead of 2 and just started crying. I AM SUCH A WUSS!!!!!

They were so sweet and loving and kind and probably thought I was nuts but certainly didn't show it- which I was very appreciative of! :)


Luckily, I had my bigs and some of our BFFs to keep my mind off missing my baby girl. We had so much fun together doing "big kid" things- like bowling!





We went and picked up Molly, and she was crying when they brought her down. Sheesh. But I know they were loving towards her and they are so sweet to be so patient as she gets situated. We will get there!


We went to the store directly after because Blue Bell ice cream is back in stock!!!!

And we had to give a reward for making it through school- Cheeto Puffs it is! 



And of course, Momma had to pick up some necessities after the emotional day she had... If you really want to judge me you should note that my three year old took the picture. How's that for classy???



So I guess the moral of the story is, for me it's not any easier dropping off the first kid, second kid, or third kid on their first day of school. These kids are the direct lines to my heart- when they aren't with me it's like a little piece of me is missing. It will get easier on all of us, but I love these children dearly. One day when you kids are reading this, just know that. And if I'm still blogging when they graduate college, I know it will be the same dang feeling.

3 comments:

the blogivers said...

We will be there on Thursday when Avery goes to her first day of school! I am usually not a cryer in those situations, but I feel like once I get to the grocery store after dropping her off, her absence in the cart is going to make me sad!! But I'm sure I'll find comfort once I realize I am doing the grocery shopping alone :)

ChelseaSalomone said...

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Everett is too young to go this year- just barely missed the cut off =( and I was bummed, but secretly it would have killed me to send him. I'm with ya, it's soooo good for them though. I picked up Logan the last two years at 12:30 too =) Hang in there! It will be so fun to see how much she grows and changes this year.

Kimberly Hixon said...

Sweet Miss Molly! Sorry y'all had a bit of a rough first day! Hope it gets better.