Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The One About The Rock Up Her Nose

Apparently I have one of those kids according to our pediatrician. You know, the ones that stick things in the orifaces on their face. I didn't know she was one, but I guess now she is. 

I picked the big kids up from school on Monday. They stayed for extended day. Some of the 2's nap, but the older (and potty trained ones) don't. Apparently this day CK's favorite teacher was in the nap room and she requested to stay in there with her instead of the play room. As I pulled up to get the kids, I saw a crying Charley Kate and her teacher holding her. "I am so sorry, but she fell asleep right at 2:00 even though I tried to keep her awake. Then we had to wake her fifteen minutes later and she wasn't ready, so she's just a little grouchy. I'm so sorry it happened this way!"

Ahhhhh the dreaded short nap that ruins everything! 

We pull away from school and CK wails, "I AM NOT GWOUCHY!!!! I CWYING BECAUSE I HAVE A WOCK STUCK IN MY NOSE!!!!!"

Hit the brakes. Pull into next parking lot. Whip my head around, "I'm sorry. What?!?"

"I PUT A WOCK IN MY NOSE AND ITS STUCK! (Waaaaaahhhhh!)"

We continue our conversation (all while Molly is passed out and Jay is watching a DVD- bless them). 

Turns out, CK chose to lay in the nap room at school. While she was tossing and turning she apparently found a small rock on the carpet (likely from someone's sweaty shoe) and stuck it up her nose (?????). When she tried to get it out, she just shoved it up further. Instead of telling her teacher, she just waited until she got in the car. 

Surprisingly, I didn't go into panic mode. I was tense, heck yeah, but not panicked. She came to the front of the car (still in random parking lot, Molly still asleep, Jay still oblivious and watching tv). I looked up her nose, felt around it, but couldn't see or feel anything. I made her plug one nostril and blow. Nothing. I asked her a dozen times if it was still in there and she said yes, she could feel it. She kept pointing to her right nostril and her right sinus cavity. 

My mom was in her own doctor's appointment, so who did I call? The calmest, most logical person in these situations- my oldest sister. We decided I call pediatrician before just taking her into an urgent care. Unfortunately they couldn't get us in until closing time, and that was another 2.5 hours away. Called sis back and we debated urgent care vs ped and decided to wait it out at home (sometimes those urgent care places can take forever). 

We go into doc and I'm starting to get a little anxious that this "teeny rock" as she described it, was stuck in her sinus cavity and we were going to have to go see an ent at the very least to have it removed (too much time to think!). 

After what seemed like hours (it was less than ten minutes), the door is opened and in walks... A MED STUDENT! Come on!!!! I don't have the time for this. "Are you sure it's in there?" "Why do you think she did this?" "Any fever?" Bah!!! He was sweet and I am sure very good and learning a lot, but ain't nobody got time for that! 

He leaves (he can't see the rock- I'm now in major panic mode). Our pedi comes in and asks several times if I'm sure she's telling the truth, if I think it might have fallen out, etc. After looking in her right nostril he says, "I'm going to check her ears, too. These kinds of kids are notorious for sticking things in any hole on their face." 

Look, I LOVE him. Like, a whole lot. But I know my kid. I know she wouldn't be freaking out and lying about sticking a rock in her nose. And I know if she stuck something in her ear she'd tell me that too! 

After not finding anything, he looked up her left nostril. JACKPOT! (Ps- CK, remember the nostril you stuck it in!!!)

After discussion, we laid her on the table. med student held her head still. I held her body still. Lights out. A tiny stick with a tinier scoop on the end that lit up was stuck up her nose and started digging. She was totally crying/freaking out and it took a little while to dig out. But he got it out. And I asked to keep it. 

Hey, this ain't gonna be forgotten easily. I've got to remind her of this one day. Plus, this wasn't a "teeny" rock like she claimed. It was pretty big for her tiny nose. 



So that was our fun Monday afternoon! What kinds of cool things did yall do?!



I do feel pretty confident that she won't ever do this again. Totally traumatic (for both of us!)! 

4 comments:

Sarah L said...

I'm glad they got the rock out. When my son was younger he got a BB stuck in his ear. He said it must have happened while he was sleeping because he spilled all the BBs in his bed that afternoon. It was stuck pretty good but I did manage to dig it out without going to the doctor. Gotta love it! LOL.

the blogivers said...

A tiny treasure for Treasure! :)

The Joiners said...

Ha, ditto to what Allison said! Kids are so strange!!!

Brittany Sciba said...

So funny/scary for you! Gotta love Bluefish! ;) I have a feeling our girl will pull some things like this too!