Monday, December 15, 2014

The Crash


Does anyone else feel like they've been going 90 miles an hour for weeks months? I don't know what it is about the fall, but there is always something going on, always something about to go on, and always something that just went on. Get my drift?

These past few weeks especially have been nuts. Three grown up Christmas parties in 8 nights- two of which I planned! What was I thinking?! Even this girl who LOOOOVES to plan parties (shout out to my high school girls clubs party chair and my Chi O Social chair days and my teaching Sunshine Committee chair days!) thought it was a little much!

But we had our last two parties (for almost a week anyway!) this past weekend. We hosted Anthony's work team at our home. Even with the months of planning that went into it, the madhouse of prep work these past few weeks, and the crazy setup day on Friday, it turned out SO wonderfully!

The team party last year was at Anthony's partner's house- who lives in the upper crust of the Memorial area and had recently moved into and completely renovated a RIDICULOUS home. It was a really beautiful dinner party in their gorgeous home. Well, this year his partner's wife decided that they just had too much going on to host again, so Anthony volunteered our house! Ha!

Knowing that we couldn't possibly "compete" with his partner's home (and by compete I don't really mean that... I mean we couldn't even come close to putting on the same show as they did- including not enough room inside our house to have a sit down dinner party for 30!), I decided to go a totally different direction!

We had a FUN, relaxed, tacky sweater night complete with a TACO TRUCK. That's right- and it was everything you are imagining. Soooo good and soooo easy!

I won't bore you with the details (anymore than I already have, because that's actually not the point of this post, but whatever). But I am just going to toot my own horn and say that I got every single thing set up and ready ALONE with all three kids home! Yup, how about them apples?! I was so proud of myself- and I may or may not have texted pictures to all of my sisters/parents/best friends/husband that day bragging about it. Ha!

Beginning of the set up



Thank you to my mother for letting me borrow one of her "pretty sweaters" for the party. 
She might get her feelings a little hurt when we call them tacky. 


So the party was great and my parents had the kids at their house (THANK YOU!) and we stayed up until 2:30 (!!!!!!!!!) hanging out and playing Cards Against Humanity (!!!!!). The only casualty was a candle in our guest bathroom that went awry and may or may not have caught fire and then caught something else on fire before I could get it out (water and blowing and trapping it worked!). Unfortunately my hand didn't fare so well...




So between that on Friday night (and by the way, we went and picked up Molly around 12 and brought her home so my parents could go to bed), waking up and grabbing the kids Saturday morning, heading up to church to decorate for the party that night, Anthony's football game (more on that in a sec), getting ready for the party, hosting that party, and coming home to put the big kids down, WE WERE POOPED.

We went to bed and slept hard, but still hadn't really caught up enough. So by Sunday I was pretty grouchy after church (remember the previous week Molly was sick and I got no sleep!). Plus, I'd be "on duty" a lot lately while Anthony had other obligations.

So Sunday afternoon I crashed. I was exhausted and I might be PMS, too. Between those things, I looked at Anthony with tears in my eyes and said, "I need a break. Like, now." So I took a nap (with Molly) and headed out to get a much needed manicure and pedicure. I am pretty sure I sat there for an hour and a half straight without talking or even making eye contact. I drove to the nail place in silence and drove home in silence.

It was JUST what the doctor ordered. By the time I got home I was so energized and felt recharged. It's amazing what a few hours can do for you!!


We had pho for dinner (Molly took down TWO eggrolls!!!!! It's amazing how much that girl can eat without teeth!), played and just hung out as a family- AT HOME. It was perfect.




And now I'm going to excuse myself with some graham crackers and cookie butter and sit on my couch- in silence. :)

No comments: