Monday, November 17, 2014

Things I've Learned Having Three Kids

There are a few things I've learned so far in the (almost!) 6 short months that I've been a mom of three kids. I swear my kids have gotten together and created a few "rules"...


1) One of them is always sick. We managed to dodge this bullet over the summer for the most part, but send two of them off to school and it is a guarantee that on any given day at least one kid is sick. Not always a warrant-a-trip-to-the-doctor sick, but the kind of sick that would have made me stay home and cancel plans when I was a first time mom. Not any more- if we did that we'd never leave the house. We just power through it these days.

2) Someone is always waking up in the middle of the night. There hasn't been one night in six months that I have put my head on the pillow and slept through the night.  I just keep telling myself that one day when my kids are grown and out of the house I will long for someone to "need" me in the middle of the night. Some nights that mantra works better than others!

3) No matter the combination, only having two kids around is easier than three. It can be Jay and Molly, Charley Kate and Jay, or Molly and Charley Kate, but whatever the combo is- it's always easier than having all three together. And for all you parents with one or two kids out there- when I had only two kids it was the hardest thing ever. And when I had only one kid it was the hardest thing ever. Now that I have three kids, it's also the hardest thing ever. It's hard no matter what stage you are in, but take away even one from whatever stage you are in and it's just easier than your current situation. It really really is.

4) It doesn't matter how sharp you were in former (pre-mom) life, you can't think straight to save your life. I used to pride myself on being a quick thinker/decision maker. Now, I just don't care about where we go to dinner or when leave for a trip (unless it interferes with nap time). I just don't want to decide. I also used to be a great driver with a spotless record. I've now been in more fender benders than I'd like to admit (seriously, where did that car come from?!). It's sad, really. But I don't even have the energy to worry about it.

5) No matter how hard you try, baby books/blogs/framed pictures/etc just aren't done as well as the first kid's. It's just a fact. I have the best intentions, and for the most part I've done a decent job. But it's SO hard to keep up. So to my second and third kids- I'm sorry- I promise I tried!

6) There is an ungodly amount of laundry. Even when I feel like I've kept up on it and done it every few days, THERE ARE STILL SO MANY TINY CLOTHES TO FOLD!!! How do they wear and accumulate so many freaking clothes?!!?

7) People think that you need their hand-me-downs. Seriously. The sweetest people with the best intentions think that the more kids you have, the more stuff you need. So friends/sisters/neighbors will unload all their used toys and clothes on you. We have SO. MUCH. STUFF.

8) No matter how many square footage of house you have, all my little people will be in a five foot radius of me at any given point. Occasionally they will branch out and move (gasp!) about twenty feet away in the same room, but typically, if they are home, they are touching me.

9) Showering during daylight hours is a thing of the past. Unless the big kids are at school and Molly is home asleep, I'm likely not showering during the day. Otherwise, two are fighting and/or one is screaming and/or at least has joined me in the bathroom. I've just given into that fact and resigned myself to showering at night after everyone is asleep and I can take the longest, hottest shower I want.

10) You just DON'T care about the small stuff. Molly's not eating vegetables before fruits? Who cares! Jay hasn't learned how to ride a two wheeler? Ehhh- no big deal! Charley Kate didn't poop on the potty for the first three months of being potty trained? Whatever! You see, my kids are all fed and clothed and loved on all day long. The other stuff will come- I PROMISE. You just don't have time to fret about every little thing when you are a mom of lots of kids- and I swear that's why the more the kids you have, the more laid back their personalities are in the long run.



Alright, I'm sure there are more, but my mom-brain is fried and it's time to feed Molly. Maybe one day I'll get back to this list and write down some more. But likely not.

4 comments:

the blogivers said...

I can only imagine! I will most likely not ever find out for myself if all these things are true, but I find myself relating to them with just 2 kiddos, so I'm sure they are! :)

Jenni said...

Amen! I was going to tell you which numbers were my favorites, but there were too many to list!!

Brittany Sciba said...

This is a great list! I have to admit, I'm terrified of #4 (if we have any more kids). I seriously feel like my "mom brain" could not get any worse than it is now and if it does…yikes. I have random pieces of paper and pens all over the house because if something pops into my head, I have to write it down right then or I forget 2 seconds later. You seem to be doing an amazing job as a mom of three!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I gave Anthony 2 dresses without asking you first. I had asked Lauren and Lori and both were thrilled but I found those tow little dresses and Molly is so petite. You can give them back and I will send them to Arms of Hope!!! That is what I usually do anyway but these were m,y favorites from the girls and thought it would be nice to see someone else wearing them at church!!! Sorry to add to the chaos!!!! Kerri