Monday, October 6, 2014

Weekly Menu

I haven't done a weekly menu in a while (mainly because cooking good meals was on and off for a few months... Easy tacos once a week? Done!).

But I have been inspired again to cook more often. I've got a better handle on life at the moment with three kids and have a little routine figured out. I want to get healthier and eat meals that are better for me, and that only happens when I have control over we have. Plus, I DO love cooking! So between those things we have been eating pretty well lately!

As always, it gets hard to find inspiration. Easy enough to cook with three kids in tow? Yummy enough that everyone in the family will eat it (or some SIMPLE variation of it)? Healthy for a mommy trying to get rid of some stubborn baby weight? Filling enough to last a nursing momma through the night? Clearly we have some criteria, people!

I'm always looking for new ideas, so I love when people post their menus. Without further ado, here is ours from this past week!


Monday
Pasta bolognese, roasted eggplant, spinach salad
-I made a batch of penne pasta for the kids and some vegetti (love that word!) pasta for the grownups... We did squash spaghetti this time!


Tuesday
Grilled breaded cod, roasted brussel sprouts, leftover pasta
-I bought a box of frozen fish and used that!
-Anthony and the kids had some leftover pasta as a starch/carb filler
-Roasted brussel sprouts is SIMPLE and YUMMY! I used to hate brussel sprouts, but this recipe is excellent....
Quarter brussel sprouts. Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast on 400 for about 20 minutes until crispy along edges. Toss with parmesan cheese as an added bonus!


Wednesday
Chicken/apple sausage, broccoli rice casserole, steamed broccoli
-Broccoli rice casserole is simple and fast. I usually put chicken in it, but we didn't need it this time since we were having it with sausage!
1 cup rice- cook according to package directions. 1.5 containers cream of mushroom/cream of chicken mix (I use this brand). 1 package frozen broccoli. 1 chopped and sauteed onion. 1/2 bag shredded cheese. Mix all together and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.


Thursday
Coconut curry chicken, quinoa, roasted asparagus
-This was a new (!!) recipe/idea. I wasn't sure if we'd love it or hate it. Surprisingly, EVERYONE in my family (including the kids!) loved it! We served it over quinoa, but white basmati rice would be wonderful, too! We will definitely be having this again and again! Such a nice change of pace and it's SO easy! Oh, and I'm not a slow cooker person, so I just did this over the stove for about 30 minutes. Super easy and much faster!


Dessert Bonus!
Pumpkin spice cookies with cinnamon cream cheese icing
-Alright, y'all, I confess. I am a TERRIBLE baker. But I made these from scratch and I don't know if I've ever been so proud of anything in my life! Ha! Seriously, they were so dang good and just the perfect amount of everything! I will be making these over and over and over for the next two months!


Saturday Morning Breakfast
Sweet potato hash
-One of our favorites. Anthony's sister made this for us and I won't lie when I say I was hesitant to try it. All of the ingredients together sounded just weird. But it is DIVINE! Give it a try- you will NOT be disappointed!


Game Day Appetizer
Spinach Artichoke Dip
-This was RIDICULOUSLY delicious and garnered lots of compliments for our A&M game watching group. Easy easy easy!



What are YOU cooking this week?!

3 comments:

Dutka said...

How do you make your vegetti? I am always hearing about people making it but haven't tried it myself. Going to do an advocate cleanse next week, so that make a good way to get my veggies.

Jenni said...

No leftovers and no crockpot?! I don't know how you do it!! Those are both staples in our house!! We do some variation of taco Tuesday every week...we often mix it up with taco salads, taco ring or breakfast tacos to name a few! We also like to grill bunch of chicken and use it in another meal during the week...this week we are doing this recipe: http://www.wittyinthecity.com/2011/08/man-pleasing-chicken/ Sounds weird but is totally delicious and EASY! We are having it with couscous and roasted hominy!

ChelseaSalomone said...

Ummmm I am SERIOUSLY impressed. Three meals in a week and I feel like I am knocking it out of the park. And I only have two kids!

AS SOON as I can have dairy again those cookies are going on my list!