Sunday, October 26, 2014

Bigger Than Us

Judging from the Facebook status updates and blog posts (and lack thereof) from this past week, it seemed to be quite a week for most people.

At least it wasn't just us.

For whatever reason, the world was just crazy last week. I'm just going to write a little about our week (because frankly no one wants to read a sob story and there is ALWAYS someone worse off than you. Always)..

Oldest sister out of town and me helping with her kids after school all week (no biggie- they are sweet and easy, just more than our "normal" routine). In the midst of picking up one of hers from school and slipping gymnastics in for mine before getting another of hers, both my girls spiked fevers and we made a quick doctor visit. Oh, and did I mention Anthony had a dinner that night and wouldn't be home until late? I might have gotten my kids McDonald's for dinner and had all three asleep by 7:08! Boom.

Dumb virus for each- white spots on tonsils (for both) and high fever (her first fever ever I might add!) for the littlest of the bunch!

Don't let this sweet face fool you- girl didn't feel good! 


Wednesday and Thursday brought more running around and more bus driving services. And a lot of this.... Sweet pumpkin only wanted to be held and snuggled and slept a lot more than usual during the day (and a lot less at night). Poor girl.

Forgive the undershirt/bra combo- feverish babies are HOT to carry around all day long! 


Lukewarm baths help fevers AND make us feel better! 
Love this little devilish look! 


Friday my second oldest sister went out of town, and I was on duty for her, too. At one point I had six kids in my car ranging from ages 5 months to 8 years old. Thank the LORD we got a Suburban! ha! It really was no big deal, but I will kindly remind my sisters to plan their next trips NOT on the same dates! :)

Everyone was tired from the crazy week by Friday afternoon!
Naps on the blow up mattress in front of the tv?! Why not?!

"Mommy, I gotta feed my baby now, ok?"


We had our school fall festival that night and the kids had a blast! The parents were going crazy- it was madhouse with the kids going nuts! But at least they had fun. That's all that counts, right??





Saturday morning was cousin's football game, Jay's soccer game, and a birthday party to boot! By Saturday night, Anthony and I were completely worn out. Oh, and did I remember to say that Saturday morning Miss Molly woke up with roseola?! At least we know it's not contagious and means she's on the up and up from her virus, but one more thing....

Candy on a Saturday morning! Woohoo!

Jay's the tall kid in front... Anthony's the guy in blue shorts and navy shirt!

Jay was sweaty and spiked his hair. 
I joked that it looked like Anthony's college hair (no really). 

Blurry picture, but the roseola rash (you can see the non-blurry part at the top)

We love a pinata! 


Sunday morning we woke up and got ready for church. Except CK was complaining that things hurt and she needed to teetee but then couldn't go, but would try again and again and again... then she had a low fever and said her tummy and "back" hurt (but pointed to each kidney!)... Clear signs of a UTI- and she has never had anything like this before! Poor girl was miserable. I took her to the pediatric Urgent Care Clinic nearby (not the ER), and we were in and out in about thirty minutes with a clear diagnosis of UTI and a prescription called in. Thank goodness we could help her!

Unfortunately, I was supposed to be throwing a shower for a good friend, but I just couldn't leave Charley Kate like that. We gave her some AZO and the first round of meds and she perked up considerably by the night, but was still pretty uncomfortable.

I just kept thinking, "Man, this week is just chaotic, it can't get any crazier!" Except we all know it can.


And I know this because Friday morning I got a phone call from a good friend from college. One of the girls in our group of girlfriends was diagnosed with leukemia the night before.

First of all, there are no words that can adequately express my feelings for my sweet friend right now. I am just sick for her and my heart is aching and my mind is spinning. We never know the "whys" in situations like these, but we do know we have a loving, faithful Father to see us through it. I am begging for your prayers for my friend, Melissa. She was diagnosed Thursday night, drove to Dallas Friday morning, and began chemo Saturday morning. Please please pray for her, her family and friends, and the doctors treating her. Melissa is a fighter and a strong Italian woman. If anyone can fight their way through something like this, she can. I am just at a loss of words for her and truly so very devastated about this.

That news just basically slapped me across the face. There I was, complaining about not sleeping much with Molly being sick, or carting around six kids when I am so exhausted, or whatever else I felt was just "too much." And I know there are so many people out there who would love to have my "problems."

It's times like this you realize that there are many things in this life that are so much bigger than us.

And you stop complaining about your world, and start praying for someone else's.

4 comments:

Brittany Sciba said...

I am so heartbroken that Melissa is going through this. I am praying for her!!!

the blogivers said...

I thought of you all when I saw the news about Melissa - so sad she is dealing with this :( Will be prayer for her as she fights!

(And while you are right that sick kiddos, busy schedules, etc. are not as "bad" in the scheme of things, it's still ok to feel overwhelmed by chaotic weeks like that - here's hoping this week is a little more peaceful!)

The Joiners said...

Ditto to what Allison said! Praying!

ChelseaSalomone said...

I'm sorry you've had such a rough week. And I'm even sorrier to hear about your friend. That is just so scary/ hits close to home =( Lots of prayers for her family.

I just wanted to tell you also, you are such an inspiration to me. I see how laid back you are with your kids and I really wish I were more that way. I worry that I'm too rigid with things and too scheduled. You seem to be SO good at just go with the flow, whatever. That's awesome!!!

Also, good for you that you have a pediatric urgent care near by late at night. Ours closes at 9 leaving us only to the ER. YIKES! Good thing we've already met our deductible for the year.