Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Dentist Has Nothing On Her

Why I thought Charley Kate's first dentist visit would be anything but perfect is beyond me. 

Today was her first trip. We went to our incredible pediatric dentist and I was praying things would go well. We've got to build a lifetime of healthy oral practices was being repeated over and over in my head (and what male voice was that? My childhood dentist? Anthony? Not sure..). 

Anyway, there is no rhyme or reason as to why I decided 2.5 was the perfect age, other than that's when I took Jay for his first time. 

So to help her get comfortable, I brought her to Jay's visit back in February to watch (I know, this was actually a great idea on my part thankyouverymuch). Because she had an idea of what to expect, it really did make today much much easier! Plus, the staff is ridiculously awesome! 



Jay felt like the all-knowing big brother leading the way and showing her just what to do. It was precious to see him so confident. 

They weighed them, and had them brush their own teeth and taught them all the good tricks of teeth brushing (this part always makes me nervous because I feel like it's a direct reflection on me when they aren't perfect at it!). 




Then it was X-ray time. Jay went first and it was a bit of a disaster. He always gags when they put the hard film in his mouth and today was no exception. God bless him- he tried, but it just wasn't happening. Charley tried next and they only took pictures of her front teeth which was a piece of cake! She did great! 





Then it was time for the real visit- the teeth cleaning and dental exam. Jay did his first which went fine (he chose watermelon polish- a decision he thought about all morning long). The dentist said his teeth and mouth were picture perfect. He said they were a dentist's dream. Not because of anything we have done, but because of what The Lord has blessed him with. Strong teeth, excellent spacing and straightness, strong jaws, and healthy gums. His words were, "Ahhh I love this mouth. If I could just take pictures to show everyone what the perfect mouth was it would be this one!" Wish I could take the credit for that one- although since he has 50% my genes then I guess I will! :)

Then CK had her turn. She hopped right up and chose red sunglasses to match her shirt! She laid back and was PERFECT. They did everything they could possibly do! Counted her teeth, measured her gums, polished them, flossed them... And after they finished she licked her teeth and said, "I wike how dat feels!" Preach it sister! 

The dentist talked about her molars in the back being very close and how her permanent teeth and bones were not very big ("She's not going to be a very big girl"). We also chatted about her gap between her top teeth (probably my favorite thing about her!). Her upper lip is attached to the gap (her frenum? Don't google it to make sure it's correct, because frenulum comes up and apparently that's a generic term for skin flaps and I don't even want to tell you what pictures came up!!!!!). He said by age 10-11 this should "clip itself" if it doesn't get torn earlier (he said almost every patient that has this and also has an older sibling has theirs torn by wrestling with them!!). Anyway, I'm not gonna lie- I was sad to hear it likely won't be a permanent thing. I absolutely adore this on Charley Kate! 



 
So that was our visit. He complimented their behavior a ton and I was so proud of them! Honestly, they really are such good kids and times like this make me appreciate them even more! 

Here's to six more months of dental health! 

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I am so jealous of your pediatric dentist! Living in a college town...we don't have anything like that!! There is one here, but from the stories I have heard about the place, we'll stick with a family dentist who accepts kids. I am dreading Levi's first visit...I have a feeling it might not go well...

GranDeb said...

I love that Char has her baby!!! She loves that thing!!

Joanna said...

Looking to find new dentist after we moved was more challenging than I ever thought possible. One issue I found is every dentist now uses the word gentle to attract new business. I decided to hit social media and ask the locals what they thought. I was able to weed out the good from the bad after a few hundred people responded.

Joanna @ Westheimer Dentist

Jon Mack said...

As a single dad, blogs and online advice have become a godsend. I have Angie every day and need all the help I can get! I took my 4-year-old daughter to a dentist in Melbourne, Florida after hearing rave reviews online. I was nervous as I know a trip to the dentist can be scary. I had a great experience as well.