Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Finding It

I'm looking back at my most recent posts (really all of them since Molly has been born), and I realize I haven't blogged about anything of substance really. Just about all of them are recaps or reports. 

And likely today will be no different. I'm going into this blogging session with nothing on my mind, so forgive me if it stinks. 

I don't know why I haven't blogged about anything great, other than time. I have plenty of decent thoughts (yes, my brain actually still works with three kids three and under). But whenever I have a free thirty minutes, sitting down at the computer to write a witty post just isn't at the top of my list. Usually I'm getting things done around the house (laundry, cleaning, cooking, ordering birthday party invitations, etc). And if by some chance everything is done, then it's highly likely I'm going to sleep with that precious free time. 

Today I'm tucked into my bed with all three of my babies napping. We went to the zoo this morning (in the 400 degree Houston summer weather) with all the cousins. And man, it was so much fun! I loved going two weeks ago by myself with my kids, but going with three other adults and three kids who are 8 and up (aka really awesome helpers) was basically a piece of cake. Jake (the oldest) had Jay in tow and they discussed animal facts the majority of the time (and Jake helped push the stroller or kept me company with his witty jokes). Josh (10) is the apple of Charley's eye and carried her around quite a bit and hung back with me. This left me to be with Molly who was awake the first hour and a half then slept the remaining two and a half- in her stroller the whole time. So when I say it was a piece of cake for me, it really was. :)








In other news, now that I have the all clear from my doctor, I've done a decent job of working out again. Taking the kids on long walks (so thankful Molly is a great stroller rider so far) and lifting weights/doing at-home exercises (lunges, squats, etc). I also just started Couch to 5k, which if I'm honest has proven to be more challenging than I would like to admit (so so out of shape!). 


I also have been catching up on my blog from when Jay and Charley Kate were the same age as Molly now. And it made me laugh to realize that both my older kids were almost consistently sleeping longer stretches at night than Molly. The part that is funny to me is how I haven't even noticed. I haven't once thought to myself, "Molly should be sleeping longer stretches by now" or "Why isn't she sleeping longer?!" Honestly, I had NO clue until I read about it that she was "behind" in this area. What this tells me, is that I'm just totally content with our world right now. I am not looking at what it should/could be or hoping to speed things up. I'm literally just taking it one day at a time and fully embracing this little life of mine. 

And I'm not even trying to claim that our days are perfect. They are far, far from it. But they are OUR days. And they are so wonderfully imperfect that it makes me smile knowing I'm not longing to be elsewhere. We will get to the point one day where all of our kids are sleeping through the night perfectly. And I bet there will be some longing for the days when they were young and in need of snuggles. 

So I encourage you, too, to just breathe and feel the contentment of now. Find something every single day to be thankful for in your unique, imperfect world. I tell you, our blessings are plentiful- even when the baby is crying and the dog is vomiting and the older two are fighting yet again. Or when the husband is late or the friend lets you down or the car won't start. There is plenty of good, friends. You just have to find it. 





And if that wasn't the most random, unrelated post you've ever read, then I don't know what is. :)

2 comments:

the blogivers said...

Preach it, preacher :)

Brittany Sciba said...

You are an inspiring mom of three! I love how content and happy you are! Something I started at the beginning of this year was a "Joy Journal" and I've loved it! Every night (and I make a point to do it every single night) before bed, I jot down something that I am thankful for or something that made me happy or brought me joy that day. I've loved looking back and reading about sweet, random, happy moments we've had throughout the year. Sorry for the long comment, but I wanted to share because it's been such a great thing! :)