Sunday, February 9, 2014

Our Big Girl is 2!

Oh. My. Word.

How is my precious baby girl (soon to be big girl!!!) TWO years old already?! I swear, I blinked and my newborn is now a little girl. How does that happen?!



This girl is a precious light in our family. She has so much spunk, so much personality, and so much joy. She has been the greatest (unexpected!) blessing we could have ever imagined.



Charley Kate is a talker like her big brother was. She speaks in sentences and pretty clearly most of the time. She loves love loves being a part of the conversation. While her brother preferred to play when adults were together, this girl loves to join in and contribute to whatever we are talking about. She will sit on a lap and just listen to what everyone is saying and chime in. Hilarious!

She is a girly-girl through and through. She loves her baby dolls and rocking them, shushing them, singing to them, and changing their diapers. She loves accessories (and thinks you can never have too many!) and her high heels and to dress up. Makeup and jewelry are some of her favorite toys.




While she's a total little girl, she can rough and tumble with the best of them. She is super athletic and her balance and coordination and pretty impressive. She's still pretty teeny, so I'm convinced she's going to be a gymnast or cheerleader (she likes to fly!). She also LOVES to ride her bike (tricycle) and scooter and swing "really high!" on any swing in sight!

Sweet girl has TOTALLY regressed in sleeping this last month-two months. She wakes often and needs us there with her. Her naps aren't as long as I'd like (1.5-2 hrs)- especially for the amount of energy she exerts and the lack of sleep at night. Oh well, we'll get there at some point!

It amazes me how socially aware she is. She can read people really well and tell what they need. She loves to flirt with her daddy ("Daddy kisses!" she shouts as soon as he walks in the door from work- all the while batting those big blue eyes at him!). She can tell when people are mad and upset and tries to comfort them. She loves being around other kids and chatting with them and "helping."



She loves her pets and her family, but if there is one thing she loves more than anything in the world, it's her brother Jay. He is her hero. She would snuggle him and follow him everywhere if he would let her. He is so good to her, and I'm so thankful for that.

Girlfriend is still feisty, and still occasionally earns her nickname "Hurricane Charley," though the tantrums and drama are becoming less (or I'm dealing with them better!). She is fiercely independent and wants to do everything "by myself!" I am so thankful for this because I don't worry that she will be in trouble at school with peers. I also know that this is going to make her a strong, independent woman one day and I can't ask for more than that.




She is my little shadow and doesn't get too far from me throughout the day. She helps me cook, "fold" laundry, clean, and all sorts of things around the house.



I love looking back at this post and remembering the day she was born. I also love that at the time I so perfectly said what I feel everyday about my kids- that my heart doubled in size the day I met Charley Kate. She is the light of our family and the spark we couldn't live without. God knows what we need before we do. And He knew that our family needed this precious "surprise" baby, Charley Kate.




Little girl, we love you to pieces.


1 comment:

Brittany Sciba said...

Happy birthday Charley Kate!!! She is so beautiful and sounds like such a precious, sweet girl!