Monday, October 14, 2013

Traveling the SEC

Anthony and I had the most fun weekend in Memphis, TN and Oxford, MS this weekend!

It was the beginning of our "visit an SEC school every year" plan. Whether or not that actually ends up happening is yet to be seen, but it's a goal! Maybe every other year?

Anyway, we knew we wanted to start this little tradition as soon as we Texas A&M started doing well during football season last year. So for Christmas last year, Andrea (his sister) and I bought the husbands (and ourselves!) plane tickets to Memphis for this game! We had big plans of taking a double trip together, having a blast, etc... The guys LOVED their presents and have been so excited! Well, Andrea and Mike decided to get pregnant and are due in just a few weeks (I say that very sarcastically1 we are SOOOO excited!!)- so that didn't work out so well for them. We missed them and know it would have been so much more fun with them!

I feel like half of the former students from A&M that I know went to this game this weekend. We definitely knew lots of people there (from both schools!).

Oxford is a small town like College Station. Just a few hotels and those sell out a year in advance (at least) for game weekends. So after talking with my aunt and uncle some (they are big Aggie supporters) they talked us into staying in Memphis with a bunch of the other Aggie alums and getting tickets in the Aggie section. It was perfect! Memphis is about an hour and fifteen minutes away from Oxford (much like College Station and Houston). Plus, they had hotels that were a little nicer than Motel 6, so I was definitely voting for that route!

We flew out Friday and arrived without incident. Everyone we encountered in Memphis was super nice. It was really refreshing, actually. We had a party in Oxford that night (one of Anthony's clients is a big Ole Miss alum and invited us to his huge party). We headed to Oxford and got there around 6:30 or so. We drove around the campus (which is gorgeous) and saw all of the fraternity and sorority houses (which was so fun!). We ate a quick bite at a little dive that is well known there and then walked around The Square. It reminded me so much of College Station and Northgate! The people were super friendly, though I did feel about a 100 years old! But because it was a game weekend, there were people of all ages out and about.

The party we went to was great- super crowded and a very big deal for Ole Miss alums. They had the cheerleaders and band there to perform and visit with the people. They had tons of food and live music and lots and lots of people. It was a really fun time. And like any big place- you always run into lots of people you know!

Anthony and me at the party!


We met up with some friends after a couple hours and stayed around The Square. There were a ton of older (our age) Aggies and we saw a jillion people that we hadn't seen in 10+ years! So fun! But this couple is retired from the party scene and it was just not as much fun to "visit" with friends in a ridiculously crowded bar with drunk people shoving up against you. So we hung out for a bit and then called it a night. Plus, we had a 1+ hour drive back to the hotel, so we were ok with that. :)

Saturday morning was so great to sleep in and veg in bed (how I have missed that!!!) for a while. We took our time getting ready and watched Game Day some. Then we headed to a delicious breakfast in downtown Memphis with a wait and enjoyed every single delicious kid-free bite! I say "with a wait" because now that we have kids, anywhere with a wait is OUT. In and out and done!

We headed to Oxford around 11ish, which was about three hours later than Anthony wanted- what?! I am all for getting there early and missing some traffic- but tailgating outside for 12 hours honestly does not sound fun to me! We drove around a bit and walked campus some and met up with lots of friends. We hit up The Grove and let me just tell you- it did NOT disappoint! WOW!

So fun! 


This is exactly why we chose Ole Miss to start with! That place is nuts! Chandeliers in tents, crystal serving bowls, tablecloths and centerpieces... Holy smokes! Those people are impressive! Not to mention every single girl there (ok, that's an overstatement, but seriously 90%) were in go out/cocktail dresses and high high heels. That is commitment. More power to them, but that is NOT for me! Ha! I'm all about a cute dress and boots, but comfort is key, people!

Chandeliers and chair covers

This pic does NOT do it justice, but this setup was beautiful!
The flower arrangements are cotton in giant vases and a huge wreath in the middle.
There were also some crystal serving bowls at this one!

An A&M tailgate- glad they got the memo on how nice it's supposed to be!
Chandeliers, maroon chiffon draped across, cocktail tables with covers and TONS of flowers!





Did I mention it rained for about an hour in the middle of the day? We made it inside to the Student Center and had some lunch and watched the end of the Texas/OU game. We came back out and The Grove was a giant mud pit. Seriously. Who's laughing now, girls-in-heels?! Me! I was comfy and well protected in my Toms! :)  It was hilarious as the day went on watching the girls (who had way too much to drink) trying to maneuver in the mud in heels. Oh to be young and carefree... They will learn...



Anyway, it was game time and our seats were great! We had so much fun sitting with the Aggies and biting our nails. We left a little early to make the drive back to Memphis (the game started at 7:30 and the fourth quarter began around 11- we were pooped). Anthony had the game on his phone so I drove back and he watched it (and I listened!). What a thriller! Glad we pulled it out!

I only wanted to prove we were at the game. 
I am so beyond embarrassed of how horrible I look in this pictures!
Why did Anthony not tell me I looked like crap?! 
As soon as I saw it I pulled my hair back and applied some lipstick. YIKES!

So this guy... Bless his heart.
He brought a cooler of food to the game- and munched on CARROTS and healthy things the entire time.
More power to you, man. 
When I think football, I think of nachos and Dr. Pepper. 


We crashed that night and had another yummy breakfast that morning before driving around Memphis a little more and hopping on our plane.

A whirlwind weekend, but it was SO greatly needed! Big thanks to my sister, my parents, and Anthony's parents for all helping out all weekend with the kids! I know they were in good hands!



So, if you want to take an SEC roadtrip- hit up Ole Miss. It's a must see. The people are so friendly, the town is adorable, and the campus is great. I would not be sad to see my kids go to that school (though the party-school part of it would scare me to death!). But really, it's a great place and I'm thankful we got to experience it!

4 comments:

The Joiners said...

Glad y'all had a good time! Next time you're in Memphis, you'll have to go visit Chi O's headquarters ;)

Anonymous said...

Ole Miss - try Auburn! The girls are so dressed up, and all guys wear ties and dress shirts to the game! That's how tailgating is done - dressed up and super nice! So much better than boots and cowboy hats ;)

Sarah said...

SO Fun!! We are wanting to do the same! Going to LSU first, next month!! Do it again! Come on!! Where are y'all headed next year? ;)

Jenni said...

I love that idea!! So fun! I can't believe how fancy the tailgates are and I am totally with you...no heels at games for me! Then again...they probably don't stand the whole game, either. (c: