Friday, October 18, 2013

Those Days

I really don't have much insightful material to blog about. So I was just looking through some old pictures, and a few things started to jump out. Mainly I wanted to share some cute ones of the kids, but some others definitely need to be mentioned (and they aren't cool enough for their own post). 

Last week I took the kids to the zoo. You know those days where the stars align and everything just goes right? Yeah, it was one of those days. I actually got the kids up, made lunches for all of us (which rarely happens when we go to the zoo because it takes a lot of effort and why bother when the zoo offers healthy and yummy choices?!), and headed there- and we made it (traffic and all!) around 9! I love getting to the zoo so early. The parking is perfect and there are no lines. Not to mention the animals are all frisky and recently (or currently) fed so it makes for some fun things to watch. 

But I love zoo days with my kids. Seriously, this is probably my favorite thing we do together. Probably because they love it so much and it genuinely makes them so happy. But mostly because it's our little time together. Sometimes we invite others, but mostly it's just us. We have a routine (that we often break), we have our favorites, and we are always building memories. The kids were in great moods that day (and so was mommy!), and it was just one of those days. I love those days. I was all educating them about animals and habitats and they were ACTUALLY listening and absorbing and asking questions. We all ate really healthy (no chicken nuggets or pizza- WIN!) for lunch. The weather was gorgeous. The day couldn't have gone better. I mean, not one little bit  (except the giraffe feeding was closed which is OUR FAVORITE PART!). Even without the giant lettuce and long giraffe tongues it was a great day. 




Why do my kids love to kiss the goats?!?!?




After the zoo we went to the duckpond outside the premises. We only do this occasionally, because by the end of the day we are pooped and ready for naps. But since today was one of those days, we headed over with our leftover popcorn and cheerios. The ducks and geese were pretty uninterested in our food (overfed much?), but the pigeons were all over the place. And my kids loved it! They thought it was awesome to have them ALL AROUND.

Anyway, as we were walking by, some woman says, "Come look at this river otter in the pond!" A river otter? In a duck pond?! Needless to say I had my doubts.

As we walked closer I had a feeling of what it was. I had never seen one in person, but having an animal-loving kid and some iPad game taught us about these things and I. Just. Knew. After I saw it I was certain (but I still googled it). Yup, it was a nutria. More commonly known as a river rat. I was all knowledgeable when I told the other woman what it actually was (and thank you google for giving me some facts to sound even better).

It half gave me the heebie-jeebies, half made me want to take it home. It was cute in a gross way. It used its little hands to eat the popcorn which was adorable, but every time it moved it made me shake a little. Not to mention this one in particular was HUGE. Like, with its tail it was probably as long (but probably longer!) than Jay! Eek! It never came fully out of the water, so this was the best picture I could get.




Anyway, the rest of that day was spent napping and some other things- obviously not too important since I don't remember. But I do remember being so thankful for a day like that. A day to recharge with my babies. I love those days.



On another note, I got a little crafty again and made this CUTE door hanger that I found on Pinterest. I actually made NOTHING, just painted some pre-made letters and tied some rafia on it. But whatever, I'll claim it. It's super cute.



We also had pizza for dinner one night last week (actually my kids had three it nights in one week- thanks in part to a lazy mom one night, and a night with each set of grandparents). Anyway, Jay can down some pizza. He will eat 3-4 slices at one sitting (and it's regular crust- he doesn't like thin crust- and he eats all of it. It's impressive). Anyway, he ate his tenth piece (not really) and then decided he was all finished with it. And I can honestly say I have never seen anyone eat a piece of pizza this way. Very interesting. You'd think there was some test out there to reveal the deeper meaning of this.



I feel like this post is getting a little wordy (and about nothing at all), so I will leave one last thing. Over our getaway weekend I read a short little book called Sparkly Green Earrings. Oh my gosh, if you are a mother READ THIS BOOK. It's super short and the most perfect mix of belly laughs and tears. Seriously, in the same paragraph I would be doing both. It's just about her life as a mother and stories about it all. She's a wonderful Christian and injects verses here and there. She's the author of Big Mama Blog which is a riot if you haven't visited that site. One of my favorites. Anyway, there was a quote on one page that just stood out to me and is applicable in so many situations.

"God can't take us anywhere if we keep clinging to the little bits of the past."

I mean, is that not a wonderful thing to remember? How many times do we remember things from the past (bad and good) and get hung up on them?! Well, if we can just remind ourselves to let go then God will take us so far forward and it will better than anything we can imagine. Smart words, I tell ya- and ones I need to remember!

Alright, that's it- I promise. 


Happy happy Friday, Y'all! Living for the weekend! Cheers to more of those days.

1 comment:

Leah said...

So many people have told me to read that book! I am going to get it!

Love the pizza pic too!