Monday, July 29, 2013

Day Trip!

Last week I got a wild hair. Anthony had an out of town work thing (overnight) and the thought of filling a LOOOONG afternoon and night with the kids (after several late nights and weekend meetings recently) was totally overwhelming.

So I decided we were taking a day road trip by ourselves. Just the kids and me! 

We headed down to Galveston around nap time Thursday (noon). Charley fell asleep right away and slept the whole hour down there. Definitely a SHORT nap for her but it was better than nothing! Jay slept only about twenty minutes (which is about two hours shorter than his every day). I knew this little trip could go one of two ways with little sleep. But I figured fussing in Galveston was more fun than fussing in Houston doing the same old thing. 

So we set our sights on Moody Gardens! We had never been and they had a dinosaur exhibit that I was dying to show Jay. That plus a HUGE aquarium, plus a rainforest, plus a water park sounded perfect. Not to mention the kids were free, so that offset the astronomical price for me! 

Jay and Charley LOVED the aquarium! They watched the seals swim forever. We identified tons of fish/sharks/sea creatures. They touched and saw and smelled and listened. It was great!





Then we headed to the dinosaurs. Oh my- Jay was in HEAVEN! They moved and breathed and roared and he loved every bit of it. Charley was scared, but not terrified. She just preferred to watch from the stroller. :)








The rainforest pyramid was next. It was HOT and humid just like a real rainforest. It was cool, but I wouldn't do it again for a looong time. Just meh. 

Then we hit up what was the best part of the trip- the water park! I would say this is geared perfectly for a 7 year old. Because of this they had a TON of areas that were PERFECT for my two. Most pools were wade in. These are great because Jay can go deep and swim and Charley can play in the shallow area. 

But the absolute favorite part from the day (other than the dinosaurs for Jay) was the wave pool. Both kids had a BLAST. Jay amazed me with his swimming abilities. (Side note- just last week I put a video on Facebook of him swimming. Well he has CRUSHED that in about four days. He is now swimming across our pool, diving deep, and just 95% independent in the water. It's crazy). Every time he would hear the buzzer for the waves to start, he would take off swimming for the deep part. Then he would tread water and dive through the waves. Honestly, I'm glad I was there to see it because I probably wouldn't have believed it. I did make him come back closer to me multiple times though because it just made me so nervous. He was awesome!  All the meanwhile Charley Kate and I were about chest deep for her. I would pick her up as a wave came and she'd jump with it. She laughed every time. We were in the wave pool over an hour. It was SO fun! 

I made us leave after three hours there (!!) because it was already 6:00 by this point and I knew dinner and bed needed to come soon! We dried off and changed in the grody public changing/shower room. Ick. 

We headed to the Strand and went to a burger place (thinking it would be quick and easy). It was neither :) It took our food FOREVER to get made. And in the middle of us waiting Jay needed to go poop. I load up toys, iPads, our buzzer and bags and ran two kids around the restaurant looking for the bathroom- only to discover it was UPSTAIRS. So we hustle up there and Jay takes care of business. Only this isn't a short thing for this guy. So as he's sitting on the disgusting public toilet, I am trying to keep Charley from touching trashcans, other toilets, the floor, etc. On top of all that, our buzzer starts going off that our food is finally ready! It went off for so long and eventually stopped. Ugh. 

We finally go back downstairs to find our food has been put up along with our drinks. Back to square one. Sigh.




We finally eat and head for our very last stop- La Kings on the Strand. It's an old-timey ice cream parlor and candy shop. It has lots of sentimental value because we always went there growing up. I knew the kids wouldn't remember or care- this stop was for me. :)

We ate ice cream, ordered candy, and loaded up on salt water taffy. Perfect!



(Love CK in the background of this one as she realizes Jay has her ice cream!)




We finally got in the car for the last time and started to head home. Charley was out in about five minutes (it was just after 8). Jay stayed up the entire car ride home (!!!!) but was great company. I drove home absolutely pooped- but in SUCH a good mood from such an awesome day. 

We got home and Charley woke as we pulled in the driveway (of course). Jay stayed in the car and watched the last part of the DVD as I got her (very quickly) back to sleep. Then I went and got him and it took about five minutes for him to pass out. 

It was seriously SUCH a good day! It wasn't perfect and I was exhausted by the end, but I had such a blast. After a rough couple of weeks, I really needed a special, fun day with my babies. It was such a great time to see them having so much fun and laughing and enjoying each other. I love the friendship that they are developing and I hope they carry that forever. 


On another note, here are some things that weren't fantastic about the day:
-Taking a huge stroller. I absolutely had to have it, but it was TOUGH weaving in and out of people and displays and parking it. No way I could have done it without, but it sure made it tough. 
-Taking our pool bag (suits, diapers, sunscreen, towels) around everywhere with us. I wish they had lockers we could have used!y shoulders were tired from carrying all the bags all day!
-Fighting in the stroller. Come on, I didn't claim they were perfect. 
-No pictures. I had all I could handle with two toddlers. No way I could have gotten anymore pictures! 
-Chasing Charley. She was usually ok, but occasionally something would catch her eye and she'd take off. And when coaxing didn't work, I'd just pick her up. This was met with screaming, crying, going limp noodle, and sometimes scratching. Good times. 
-Our food consumption. I brought some snacks, but we were gone a long time and definitely needed to refuel. Soft pretzels, Cheetos, French fries, burgers, ice cream, and sprites just to name a few. Mom of the year right here. 
-Being "on" for three straight hours at the water park. This was a little dicey for me. Jay is really good at swimming now, but it was crowded and I still worry. I felt like I was constantly darting between the two- with no break! 
-Dinner. See above. 

All in all they did so awesome. I just can't say enough how much fun we had. Love little adventures with my littles. ❤


4 comments:

the blogivers said...

Very brave of you - I'm impressed! Glad the fun outweighed the unfun!

The Callegaris said...

Haha! I'm proud that you did that- I thought I was having an adventure when I took both kids to Chipolte today. Half way through eating, Drew needed to go to the bathroom. We had the exact same experience- grody bathroom, exploring 15-month-old-sister. I was just glad our food was still there when we got back!

Potty training is fun.... :)

Casey Charles said...

Wow! You are brave! Looks like a fun time!

Evan, Courtney, Porter & Eli said...

You are a great Mom. That is all :)