Thursday, May 30, 2013

What Happened?!

Ok, calling all moms...

Has this happened to you at all?


We moved Jay to a big boy bed at 16.5 months (were we crazy?!). Ever since we moved him, he has slept like a ROCK. Never once got out of his bed (once or twice we found him in his closet or in his rocking chair in his room asleep- but never on his own free will just got out of bed). He has rarely had night wakings- if he has it's been due to sickness only. He would go down around 830 or so and sleep until around 8. He'd take 2.5-3 hour naps. He was amazing.



WAS is the keyword. That lasted for 16 months. Can't really complain too much.




The past few weeks (really since he got sick), he's been waking EARLY in the morning. Like 5:30-6:30. Not only that, but he's been getting out of his bed!

One day at naptime a few weeks ago, he got out of bed and came downstairs all on his own after 3 hours or so. He was SO proud of himself. And that was fine with me! I mean, he took a long nap and came down after. Win. Wellll.... that has turned into getting out of bed every single night multiple times, early morning wakeups and getting out of bed, and then waking up and hopping out of bed at nap time (way too early).



I know that he's not getting enough sleep. He's exhausted.

I've tried gently talking to him about staying in bed (kid is sensitive. He doesn't need fussing/lecturing/scolding. He's always done better with a conversation and explanation). We've tried this the past few nights. It hasn't really worked yet- plus I think he's still asleep when he "wakes up."



Anthony and I will go up there and put him back in bed and he'll fall asleep in a second. So I know he's not really "up."

What do I do?

Well, before I pose that question, I won't lock him in his room. That would beyond traumatize him (and me) and I'm just not down for doing that with him.


I've seen those alarm clocks that show a color when it's time to wake up. Has anyone used those?

I just don't know if it's a phase and to keep doing what we are doing and he will eventually grow out of it. I don't know if we need to nip it in the bud now. I am just at a complete loss.

I can deal with the early wakeups- we can eventually push that back again. But the night time wakeups are a lot. Not to mention he stands at the top of the stairs, which is right by Charley's room, yelling, "Mooooommmmmyyyyyy!" I'm terrified he will wake her up!



Anyone have any experience with this? Please please tell me it's a phase. Please. I want my good sleeper back.

15 comments:

the blogivers said...

Sadly I have no experience with that... yet! We are moving Davis to a big boy bed in July, so I will likely be referring back to this post! But, in my unprofessional/uninformed opinion, it's probably just a phase like everything else :) Hope others have helpful advice for you!

Mindy Rives said...

Lucy just started this too about 2 weeks ago. And it's driving me NUTS! I don't know what started it, but it has to stop. Praying it's just a phase too. We did get a tot clock and it's helped some, but not every time. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Casey Charles said...

I haven't used the alarm click but its sitting in my Amazon cart right now! Cooper has been getting up before 6 for about 2 weeks. Never a late sleeper, 7 on a good day, but we're all tired! I have two close friends who have used the clock that say it works great! You can set the time you want and they can get out if bed only when it's "day time". Kay definitely seems like he could grasp this!

The Scott Family said...

Since Jay loves animals you can get the "ok to wake owl clock". It is an owl you can program that turns green in the morning and for naps when they can get out of bed. Amazon carries them. Hopefully it will be a short faze!

Colleen Pate said...

Unfortunately the only thing that worked for my little guy was locking him in his room with a childproof handle on the inside. It was not traumatic at all. We had a video monitor so we could see what he was doing. Most times once he realized he could not get out he would just get back in his bed. Sometimes he would look a books or play quietly in his room and then fall back asleep. Now that he is older (almost 6) is is rarely and issue and we don't lock him in. Right when we put him to bed he starts coming out asking for water or a second trip to the bathroom. If he comes out unnecessarily too many times he gets a privilege (tv time) taken away the following day. Just remember that it is a phase and that sticking with a routine and being consistent will help tremendously.

Christina said...

As soon as we moved Davis to his big bed, I missed the crib...aka cage :) He started getting up more in the middle of the night, comes into our room at odd hours, etc. The "ok to wake" alarm clock we ordered off amazon helps...90% of the time. It turns green and we praise him when he actually sleeps till the clock turns green. Good luck!

The Callegaris said...

D is still in a crib but wakes up at 5:15... Hence the reason he is still in a cage. We got the color change clock and it works pretty well- at least I'm not woken from a dead sleep with screaming to get up at 5:15! He knows he can call for me when the clock turns green I keep hoping his sleep will shift later, but it's not happening. The couple of times he has gone without a nap he is a bear...

Sleep schedules suck!

Reda Hicks said...

We use this one, and it seems to work for Howie. Easy to understand: when the bunny is sleeping, Howie is sleeping. When the bunny is awake, Howie is awake. He still gets out of bed sometimes, but then we have a basis for talking about it: "Are you supposed to be out of your bed when the bunny is asleep?"

http://www.amazon.com/KidSleep-KSCLP-Kidsleep-Classic-Pink/dp/B001YJ6VCM

Reda Hicks said...

And bonus: it's an animal. :)

The Torno's said...

We had trouble with ours waking up too early for awhile. Telling them that they can't call for Mommy and Daddy until the sun comes up worked after a little while.

Sarah said...

Totally go through this some times...Gro Clock. It's great!!!

Oh kids. Why do they do this to us.

Steph said...

Love the OK to Wake/Teach me Time clocks! Has worked perfectly for Elise. I even use it as a rest time clock to let her know when she can get up if she hasn't fallen asleep for a nap (she doesn't nap every day but does have rest time). Good luck!

Gillian said...

I haven't read all the comments, but it sounds to me like a phase (just like everything else!) He figured something out and thinks it's fun/cute, so he's doing it. My sister has had a lot of success with the wakeup clock. Since Jay sounds like a sensitive kid, I'd also suggest doing a sticker/reward chart. As a teacher, I always found the sensitive souls to respond best to positive reinforcement. So maybe set up a chart and he gets a sticker for every night/nap he stays in his bed. Then after 3 stickers he gets to pick a prize, etc. Then bump it up to 5 stickers = prize. Let me know what works! Hang in there :)

Emily said...

Carson has been doing the same thing lately. He used to go down without a peep and wake up a happy camper. He's been REALLY fighting going to sleep lately and has woken up a number of nights. Hoping it's a phase too!

Brandi said...

We slide a poster under his door when it's time for him to wake up. If he wakes before, we tell him to read the books that are in his bed or sing songs! We woke up this morning to him singing "jingle bells all the way- HEY!" At least it's not waking up to crying, but the poster works (for now)