Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ode to Sunshine

Today we lost a sweet family member, our beloved golden retriever Sunny. She was our family dog, and was an amazing one at that.

Sunny was 11 years old. She was a golden retriever. We first met her when my little sister convinced my parents she should get a dog if her high school volleyball team made it to state that year. They did. And we started hunting for the perfect dog.

We found that perfect dog in Sunny. We picked her up for less than $100 at Traders Village- a glorified flea market in Houston. She was the last of her litter, a puppy no one wanted. She was small, with short legs, and a pinkish nose. Not the show-worthy dog others were after. But she was perfect to us. And there was no question she was coming home with us that day.

We thought long and hard for the perfect name for this happy and loving little puppy. And it hit us- Sunshine! She was OUR family's sunshine. Her precious personality radiated through the room. Sunny it was. And boy did she live out that name.

She was a typical golden- loved fetching a tennis ball, going for walks and swims, and retrieved everything- including every single newspaper on my parents' street, underwear, sticks bigger than her, toilet paper, and so much more.

Sunny raised 6 grandkids. She was the protector. She followed closely behind the babies as they learned to crawl up the stairs. She let each and everyone of them climb on her and ride her like a horse, tug on her ears, and inspect her teeth. She never thought twice about snuggling anyone yet had a bark that scared many away.

Tex loved Sunny so much. He loved to nip at her ears, tug at her collar, and jump all over her. And she was so sweet to let him. She helped to love many a cat that was adopted, and even had a partner in crime, our black kitty, Cher (Sunny and Cher- get it??).

Sunny started declining in health over the past few months. It was hard for her to get up. Over the past two weeks she stopped eating much. She didn't want to go for walks anymore, and just couldn't get the energy to get up on the bed (even with the stool). Over the weekend she collapsed in the yard and couldn't get up, and eventually couldn't keep anything down. As she continued to deteriorate we knew we had a decision to make.

Today my mom and I took sweet Sunny into the vet. We knew it wouldn't be good. We sat with her and loved on her on the floor of the office because she couldn't get up. As the vet administered the drugs, she wagged that precious tail until her sweet heart stopped beating. It was like she was saying thank you to us- thank you for not keeping her alive in pain any longer, and thank you for loving her. And we did.

Rest in Peace Sunny Love. We will never forget you.


10 comments:

The Joiners said...

Ugh, I hate to hear this- I know how tough it is to lose a dog :( Sounds like Sunny was very loved and I'm sure she was thankful to be part of such a wonderful family!!

ChelseaSalomone said...

So sad!!! I dread the day... I'm so sorry, but what a great life you gave Sunny.

the blogivers said...

Sounds like Sunny had a great life with a wonderful family, but these stories always make me so sad :( I will hug my doggies tight today...

Brooke said...

I know exactly how you are feeling and it's not easy to lose a pet...they are family members. She had a great life with you guys. RIP Sunny.

Emily said...

Sunny sounds like she was an amazing dog and true member of the family. Reading this makes me tear up... we went through this with Andrew's family dog, and I dread the day we will have to face this with Shooter and Lucy. Pups are SO, SO special... I am so sorry and know that she will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge in Heaven.

Dutka said...

So sorry to hear your family had to go through this. I know how tough it is. You have many great memories to keep her alive in your hearts.

Sarah said...

So sorry to hear this news. I know dogs are a true member of the family. :( Thinking about you guys through this.

Sarah said...

So sorry to hear this news. I know dogs are a true member of the family. :( Thinking about you guys through this.

Jason and Jenny said...

What a sweet post. Sunny would be happy to hear those nice things. My thoughts are with you guys.

The Moriarty Family said...

I'm very very sorry to hear of yalls loss. I can't imagine the emotions you all are feeling during this time. Dogs are most definitely family members, and sounds like Sunny was above and beyond. Thinking of you all during this time, I know you'll miss her beyond belief. xxoo