Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Day My Heart Doubled

Charley Kate...

I wanted to document the day you made your debut into this world. In true Harmon-women fashion, you wanted to come on YOUR time. I have no clue where you get your stubbornness from (yeah right!), but it will help you to be a strong, independent woman one day. And I certainly can't complain about that!

We went to dinner at Ninfa's the night before because we knew it was going to be harder to take TWO kids out to dinner for a while. Auntie JJ also came over after dinner and brought Cinnabon and hung out! Grandeb, Auntie Kiki, Owen, and Auntie Chelle Chelle all spent the night at our house the night before to help take care of your big brother!

We woke up at 5 am Thursday morning to get ready! I couldn't fall asleep until about 2 am, so going into this on three hours of sleep was a little rough. I was so anxious and excited to meet you though- there was no way I could just fall asleep easily! Nothing a little Teen Mom 2 couldn't fix though... :)

I kissed your brother goodbye and shed some tears because I was worried about him and how he would do.
Last prego picture (for a while anyway...)



We got to the hospital at 6 am, checked in and got to our room around 630. The nurse came in at 7 and I answered about a jillion million questions about health, pregnancy, etc... They started my pitocin at 8 am. Dr. M came in at 8:30 and said I was 2 cm dilated and broke my water. It was go time!!

Around 1030 I got my epidural. The contractions weren't bad at all, but I figured, why wait if I don't have to?? So they gave it to me. As they were taping cords and cleaning up I started to feel crazy loopy. Then I remembered that epidurals don't usually make you feel loopy. So I mentioned this to the anesth and he looked at me surprised and then motioned something to the nurse. They scrambled and had me lay down flat on my side because apparently my bp had dropped crazy low. I was out of it for a bit, but nothing crazy. I spent the next hour/hour and a half napping and resting. It was pure bliss. I could feel pressure with every contraction but absolutely no pain. I could also feel my legs and toes which was totally different than last time. I was totally over drugged last time. When they gave me the epi they also upped my pitocin.

At 12/1230 Dr. M came in and checked me again. Only 4 cm! Slow slow progress.... I had only changed about 2 cm in almost 4 hours! Ugh!! We started to settle into the fact that we would be here for a while, and the nurses were thinking evening we MIGHT have a baby. Little did we know...

My mom and sisters came in and were hanging out. My epidural started wearing off (the nurse told us it would), and we began waiting for the anesthesiologist. He was pulled into an emergency c-section, so we knew it would be a little while. The contractions weren't HORRIBLE, but they were much stronger than any other pain I had felt yet.

Around 1:30 they started getting REALLY strong. I called the nurse and she didn't come right away. Another 10-15 minutes went by and I called her again. She came in with the anesthesiologist. At this point I was in PAIN. Like HORRIBLE pain. The epidural had completely worn off. The anesth. pumped more drugs in and then said they likely wouldn't take. Great. Then I started yelling (seriously) at the nurse telling her I HAD to push! I said it felt like my bottom half of my body was going to fall off. This got their attention. They anesth and the nurse looked at each other and said, "I think she is ready!" They checked me and felt her head right there and said I was 10 and it was go time and told me NOT TO PUSH!

What?!? No way. I seriously felt like I was going to die. The pain was unbearable. The urge to push was unreal. They all started running around (literally) getting the room ready. It was wild. Dr. M RAN in. I was blowing to keep me from pushing. Think "hooo hooo hooo" but with a little yelling and crying. Also think nails digging into Anthony's hand. It was seriously like TV shows/movies. I NEVER thought I would act that way. Clearly I had never gone through labor with no drugs. Shows me.

At 2:25 I started pushing. It was painful and hard and seriously the most trying thing I've ever done. Not to mention between every contraction my stomach would growl because I was so hungry!

40 minutes later you were here CK! All 8 lbs 3.5 oz of you! They doctor loved your perfectly round head and they all joked that you were a bowling ball! Ha! Dr. M also said it took as long as it did because of your broad shoulders!

They measured you and you were 21.5 inches long! A tall girl- I love it!! You had the sweetest squishy cheeks and were crying/screaming but MUCH calmer than your brother!

They cleaned you up and did Apgar scores (9 both times) and put you on my chest. You nursed on both sides right away! Way to go!!!






We had a little family time then called everyone else in- you had a LOT of visitors! Your big brother came in and met you, Grandeb, Michelle, Kiki, Owen, JJ, Jill, Josh, Jake- they were all waiting to see you!!
Grandeb and all her grand babies... :)

Jay and Mommy have the same kind of appetite...
Sharing a snack!


The nurses took you to the nursery at 4 and everyone but me followed. It was totally silent and peaceful and gave me some great time to spend thanking God for you!

They took me to our new room and I loved passing you in the nursery. I could have just stared at you ALL day! What a sweet little face!



Love this picture...


Visitors came and left all afternoon and evening. It reminded me how incredibly blessed we are to be surrounded by such loving people. Charley Kate, you will soon see- we have amazing people in our lives!
















After everyone left Thursday night we finally had some family of three time. It was awesome to hang out some and think about the whirlwind of the day that was. When I reflect back on how it was, I am truly in awe of our Father. What an absolute miracle. 

And oh, you know how I was worried about loving someone as much as I could love Jay? There is nothing to worry about. My heart doubled in size February 9th. 

Charley Kate, you are our world. xoxoxo

3 comments:

the blogivers said...

Love this :) so happy for your sweet family of 4!

Emily said...

What a great recap! So happy for y'all! What a precious little family!

The Torno's said...

What a great story! And I'm sorry your epi wore off!!! She's beautiful.