Thursday, August 26, 2010

Our Precious Jay

What a whirlwind of a weekend! Friday began the most amazing and incredible experience I could have ever imagined!

To preface- I am going to tell you about my labor/delivery experience. I won't tell you anything disgusting (believe me- I can't stand talking about bodily functions/fluids/products), but if you don't want to know details, then maybe skip this one.

So anyway, Friday I was completely unmotivated to do anything all day long. I felt so tired and so sluggish- a definite change from my behavior all week long. God definitely knew that I needed to lay low and rest all day since I would be going into labor that night!!!

Friday evening Anthony and I went to my parents' house like we do most Friday nights. And, like most Friday nights, Anthony fell asleep at about 8:00 on my parents' couch. I had been feeling pretty crampy all afternoon/evening long, but I had been feeling cramps on and off for a week and a half, so I was pretty used to it.

After dinner I was sitting at the kitchen table with my mom, Kiki, and Michelle. My cramps started getting pretty bad- like PMS cramps. Finally I realized they were kind of coming and going instead of being constant. I immediately told my mom and sisters, and then called my other sister Jennifer. She told me it was probably contractions- that's how hers felt and to keep an eye on them. Then I started texting Courtney- I remember her describing her contractions like this and so I needed another opinion (from the three I already had!). She said that's exactly how hers felt. I started timing them at 8:48, and they were pretty inconsistent- 9 minutes, then 4 minutes, then 8... so then I couldn't decide if it was it or not. By the way, Anthony is still asleep during all of this. So I wake him up and tell him that I am pretty sure I am going into labor and we should probably go home soon and get our things just in case.

Waking Anthony up to tell him I'm in labor...
Hysterical!

Walking around the house trying to make the contractions more regular!


So Anthony and I head home to wait and see. We get the last minute things together for our bags and then just wait. Anthony isn't convinced "this is it"- and I get frustrated. I'm not sure it's "it" either, but I also know that I'm having contractions and they aren't super comfortable. I'm also a little nervous because my doctor is NOT on call this weekend, and some random man is... Ugh... So after a while of debating, I call the on-call doctor. He tells me to go on in to the hospital and see. So we pack up and head out!!!

In our L&D Room!

Still Smiling :)

Supportive Family at the hospital at 3:00 am!

Mom and Sisters in the waiting room! They were amazing to come
in the middle of the night and wait! I'm so blessed!!!


So when we check in, I am 3 cm dilated. They told me not to hold my breath that delivery would be soon- maybe noonish tomorrow. They told me they would start me on Pitocin at 5 am and we would go from there. After about thirty minutes, I got a dose of pain killers- which DID NOT HELP AT ALL. I started having HORRIBLE back labor. This was the worst pain I have ever had in my life. I honestly thought my back was being ripped off of my body. It was horrendous. Anthony called the nurse and they called the Anesthesiologist for my epidural. I got the blissful medicine (two tries- ouch!) and I could instantly feel the numbness coming over my body. It was wonderful. They checked me again (this was about an hour and a half after we first checked in) and I had jumped to 6 cm dilated!! So no Pitocin at 5 apparently. :)   I waited in numbness for about thirty minutes and all of a sudden I had two spots that epidural had worn off. One in front and one in my back- both on my right side. Again, worst pains I have ever felt. It was torture! So Anthony called the nurse again and the Anesth. came back to administer more. I could feel everything go completely and totally numb and it truly was bliss again! During this bout of pain, my WONDERFUL LD nurse called Dr. McCloskey (not the doctor on call) and told her my progress. She said she absolutely would be up to deliver my baby! PRAISE JESUS for my wonderful doctor! I know there aren't many that would get to the hospital at 3:30 am on their weekend off to deliver a baby! I LOVE that woman!

The nurse checked me again (now at 3:00 am- about three-ish hours since I checked in), and I was at 10 cm!! That and my water had broken all over the floor!!! Apparently it was go time!!!!!! Yikes! Unfortunately, they had just given me a huge second dose of epidural, so I couldn't feel ANYTHING. Sounds great, right? Except try to push with the bottom half of your body completely numb- not happening.

I started pushing at 3:30 when Dr. McCloskey showed up. I pushed for almost 45 minutes when they cut the epidural off completely (my request). It was just too hard to try to push and feel nothing. Once the feeling in my legs started coming back, pushing became easier and easier. By the end, I could feel the contractions but it was so worth it because I could also feel to push and it made it so much better! Anthony was absolutely incredible throughout the entire delivery. He was encouraging and helped push me along the entire time. I know I could have never pushed for so long without him.

After TWO HOURS of hard pushing labor, our precious Jay Andrew Squillante made his entrance into this world weighing 7 lbs on the dot and 20 inches long. This was the most surreal experience I have ever known. They thrust little tiny baby onto my chest and I was just shocked. I thought I would burst into tears (I shed some), but it was more of a total feeling of awe. After Anthony cut his cord and he started breathing and crying they started cleaning him up in the room. Then they put him back on my chest and it was amazing to see this little miracle again.


First Meeting

Truest Love


That is honestly it. That is the story of my labor and delivery. It was so much easier than I could have ever imagined. I know that God's hand worked a complete miracle that night and morning. To have had such an incredible labor and delivery is not something we could have any part in. I know how blessed we are and am so thankful that He had His hand over us through the entire process. After the picture above, Anthony said a prayer for our new little family thanking God for this little miracle. We know Jay is just on loan to us in this life. We promised God that we are going to do our best to take care of him like he deserves and to raise him to know his incredible Creator. Praise Him!

I never knew that true and pure love was possible like this. I am so deeply in love this sweet child. And my love for Anthony has reached a new level. I thought I loved Anthony before- but creating a miracle like this is true love in the highest form. I am forever grateful to my sweet husband for this gift.

My cup runneth over.



Stay tuned for more pics in the coming days...

15 comments:

The Joiners said...

Congrats again!! Keep the pics coming! :)

J & J said...

Thank you for the sweet, sweet story... Praise the Lord! :)

ChelseaSalomone said...

I teared up reading this. Love it!! He is perfect and you are so blessed.

Erin+Josh said...

Me too...totally teared up, love this story

Kelly said...

Totally teared up:) Makes me relive my own birth experience and you are so right--it is just so surreal and amazing. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story!!!

The Blogivers said...

Sweet story :) glad it went so well for you guys!

Josh and Jamie said...

So glad you shared everything - gets me excited and anxious for that day to come! Hope you're all doing well!

Leah said...

HOLY COW! 2 HOURS of pushing!??? You deserve an award for that, momma!! I loved reading the story, and I'm so excited for you guys! :) Makes me want to do it all over again...

Michelle said...

So you made me cry :) Thanks, haha. Your cute little family is wonderful! I'm so glad I got to be there to see your sweet baby boy!

Mindy Rives said...

So very happy for y'all!! What an amazing story! Can't wait to see more pictures of the little cutie!

The Torno's said...

Congrats guys! That was so beautifully written. Glad it went so well! Can't wait to see more pics of the little guy! Hope your recovery is going well.

Paula said...

way to go mama! he is adorable and i can't wait to meet him in person! hooray, noah has a new friend!

Michelle said...

I love birth stories! Congrats Courtney, he is perfect! Can't wait to see him again!

GranDeb said...

Thank you, God, two years later for the gift of Jay! You did amazing work and I can promise you his parents are raising him in Your image and to Your glory!

Jay is a precious child and brings joy to all who know him!!!

Maggie Coleman said...

I am just now reading this 5 years later!!! Such a sweet sweet time! Happy birthday big guy, you are so loved!!!