Thursday, August 19, 2010

Chicken!

I have had so much fun the past two weeks with my mom and sisters "prepping" for this baby to come! My mom and I have now received TWO massages (mostly foot massages- I heard that induced labor. No such luck!), manicure, pedicure, haircut, waxing, etc... I am totally prepped and ready to go! Michelle has been in town for some of these appointments, and I've done LOTS of lunch dates with my sisters, aunt and grandmother, friends, etc... We are just trying to pass the time until this sweet boy comes.

It has been SO fun living my "momlorette" (that would be like a bachelorette party for becoming a mom) life these past two weeks. I seriously feel like we are celebrating like I'm getting married- only we are celebrating me about to become a mom! Doing all the last minute things and hanging out together "one last time" pre-baby. It definitely has reminded me of all the fun my mom and I had before my wedding. Now I'm getting to do it all over again with her!

All of this pampering DOES come at a price though. There are LOTS of great stories I've had from these sessions, but by FAR my favorite is this one...

My mom and I are getting a pedicure last week at our usual nail place. We love the women there and know them so well. I am sitting in my chair relaxing as my toenails are drying and this LOUD woman walks in. She sees my stomach and starts serenading me! I am a little freaked out at this point and just try to smile but not really make eye contact. She sits in her spot (still singing) and I finish up. I get up and walk towards my mom. As I pass by her she stands up and says, "Boy! You are about ready to pop aren't ya?!" Well, yes I am thankyouverymuch. I nod and smile. Then she starts rubbing her hands ALL OVER MY BELLY and says, "What are you? 8 months along?" I smile nicely, try to back away a little and let her know that I am, as a matter of fact, 9 1/2 months along. She then moves closer to me again (hands off now), and says, "Are you having the baby naturally?" I am now standing almost on top of my mom, this woman is standing almost on top of me and I reply, "No. I'm going to have an epidural." To which she replies, "Chicken!"

I WAS SHOCKED!!!!!!! Are you serious?!?!?! 

First of all, it is MY choice whether or not to have an epidural. Yes I want one. No I do not care if you don't want one. To each their own. I know my limits and I know that I would like an epidural. I do not walk around and try to push my views on you so I would expect the same respect. And I have had MANY people try to tell me why natural is better and blah blah blah. Like I said, I respect your decision and that is GREAT. But to call me a chicken?!!? I've never heard anything like it!

Back to the story- my eyes got HUGE and before I could say anything (trust me it wasn't going to be very nice), my mom grabbed my arm, smiled sweetly, and said, "Well, it's time to get you home momma! You probably need to rest now." And we turned and began walking out (saying goodbye to the sweet nail ladies of course).

We got in the car and started cracking up at the STRANGE woman at the nail shop that day. I have never experienced anything like it...

Other than that, people are generally SO WONDERFUL and sweet to pregnant women! They are so respectful and kind and men especially feel the need to be EXTRA chivalrous! It's been fantastic!

Anyway, I thought I would share my story since I can't fall asleep (again). Goodnight! :)

8 comments:

The Torno's said...

Uhhmmm... Ignore that lady. What the heck. Epidural is still not painless, so she needs to just shut her mouth :). Glad you're getting some pampering in, definitely need it for the next few weeks! Can't wait to meet him!

J & J said...

What in the world?!? You are anything but a chicken! If I were in your shoes, I'd be bringin' on the drugs too! That is completely wild!

I'm glad you're getting to have some fun (and a few laughs)! I keep thinking about you all day at work, wondering if Jay has made his debut yet! We can't wait :)

Christina said...

Hilarious! At first I thought this post was going to be about how you hate to touch raw chicken. I'm all for the drugs! Just because you have drugs doesn't mean you are taking the easy road out...there's still a lot of work and possibly some pain involved. You're going to do great!

Michelle said...

What a crazy outspoken lady! Can't wait, getting excited!

Leah said...

I know this is so late and Jay is already here, but that is hilarious... I am in a mom's group and they ALL talk about how much better natural is and "blah blah blah" - like you said. I hope you got to experience the epidural bliss like you planned bc I loved loved loved mine!

GranDeb said...

hahaha! Truly Courty and I were both so taken aback that it was totally hilarious!!! We have had soooo much fun!! p.s. I think it will continue with the new baby....it just might take us a little longer with all the equipment we will have to haul around!!! It seriously takes an engineer to handle all the carseats, strollers, etc..... I'll just hold the baby while Courty does the work!! xoxox

---

Jennifer said...

I personally think you are nuts not to have an epidural! How's that? I have wonderful happy birthing memories because I wasn't screaming in excruciating pain and was calm and positive. To each his own, but to me an epidural!

Kelly said...

Ha! Epidurals are awesome!! I was hoping when I popped onto your blog I'd see that Jay had been born but I just peeked over and MichelleMoriarty.com has a title "Baby Jay!" Gotta go check it out!!!!!