Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I Love Kumquats!

So most of you who know me well, know that I LOOOOVE kumquats! If you don't know what they are, click here. My love for kumquats dates back to growing up with a BEAUTIFUL kumquat tree in my parents' back yard. For MANY MANY years, my sisters and mom would eat this orange fruit from the tree, and being the PICKY eater that I was, I refused. Finally, one day when no one was around (couldn't swallow my pride and show everyone that they were right for so long), I picked a kumquat and peeled it and ate it- and LOVED it! From then on I ate them all the time and loved that kumquat tree SO much!

The kumquat tree is no longer in my parents' backyard- I'm pretty sure someone was trimming it and butchered it completely and killed it. Very sad. But a few years ago when Anthony and I moved into our new house, my grandmother's best friend gave Jennifer several teeny 12 inch kumquat trees. Jennifer passed one on to me, kept one for herself (I think), and gave one to my parents. Well, just under two years later, our kumquat tree has GROWN tremendously! It's by far one of the heartiest plants in our yard, and is just GORGEOUS! Of course, I didn't know that I would be getting so sentimental in this post, so I didn't snap a picture before, but I PROMISE I will post a pic of it tomorrow!

Hopefully so far you can see how much I LOVE kumquats. Well, you can imagine my excitement when I checked babycenter.com to see how big our baby is now that we are 10 weeks along, and it said it's the size of a KUMQUAT! I couldn't wait to post this (which is why I'm unprepared with a picture of our lovely kumquat tree!).

Here is a picture of a kumquat so you can get a relative size of our baby...


Right now our little one is about 1 1/4 inch from crown to rump and less than a third of an ounce! Tiny little thing!! I'm still feeling pretty great- just too tired to get up and do ANYTHING these days.

So I leave you with this note today- if you haven't tried a kumquat ever- get out and EAT ONE! :)  You won't be sorry (well, you might if it's not ripe- yuck!)!   :)

3 comments:

Erin+Josh said...

lol i would have reacted the same way! Only if I had a baby and it was the size of a block of cheese. Mmm....

Christina said...

We have a MILLION of those in our backyard, but I call them Loquats. I've never tasted one, but plan to now. Come over and help us eat them because when they fall it makes a huge mess.

Kelli said...

okay... a) you are so cute b) stretches and rolls?? AMAZING!! c) how did your students react to your pregnancy?