Monday, January 4, 2010

Frosty Family

I know, I know- I've been a BAD blogger over the holidays! But the last thing I have wanted to do was sit in front of a computer and type up everything that had been going on... Alas, I'm at work, and ha- now I have time to do it!! :)

So Anthony and I headed to Iowa for our first Christmas Eve and Christmas Day up there together! If you had a TV on at ALL over the break, then you saw the weather in that area- COLD AND SNOWY. I don't mean pretty snowflakes and beautiful blue sky. I mean gray skies, TONS of snow and ice, and just miserable weather. It's a good thing the company was so great! :)


We had an absolute wonderful time with Anthony's family. I am just so lucky to have such great in-laws! We got to see the cousins, aunts and uncles, and everyone in between. We had so much fun as always!

Family in the snow!


And then, on Christmas Eve, the storm started coming through. We actually lost power at Anthony's grandmother's house for a while. It eventually came back on. Christmas morning we woke up and saw what Santa brought us. We exchanged presents and had yummy breakfast casserole. Then we geared up for our flight to Omaha. Except we couldn't get to Omaha to fly out. The highways were FROZEN! So we headed to the Des Moines airport (only 30 miles as opposed to 100) and waited on the standby flight out that night. Disclaimer- it's AWESOME flying into DSM because it's a straight shot from Houston and it's closer to Grandma Peggy's house. HOWEVER, there are only TWO Continental flights out a day and they are always booked.

Needless to say, we didn't make the standby flight that night. Oh but good news- our LUGGAGE did!!!! So yes, while our luggage was at home in warm(er) Houston, we are still freezing (and now dirty!) in Des Moines! Woo! Anthony's sweet cousin Rob and his girlfriend Jenn took us in for the night. They picked us up at the airport, took us to Jenn's family Christmas dinner (soooo delicious and just the nicest thing ever!), gave us PJ's, toothbrushes, and the works, and then drove us to the airport at 5:45 the next morning to get on another standby flight.

Once we got to the airport, they told us there was a REALLY good chance of us getting on this flight. It's a good thing, because if we didn't we would have to fly standby again Saturday night. The first OPEN flight out was Monday morning- ACK!!

I'll spare you the HORRIBLY boring details of sitting in the TINY Des Moines airport and jump straight to the part where- WE DIDN'T GET ON. Needless to say the tears started flowing! I was dirty, tired, cold, and ready to see my dog and cat (oh, and my family of course!)! I guess the tears worked because the poor people working there put us on an American Airlines flight through Dallas and got us home at 3!!!! And PRAISE JESUS our luggage was there!!

We got home and exchanged presents with my wonderful family. It was so great to be home and see everyone- I missed them terribly!

The rest of the break was spent hanging out, relaxing, and playing LOTS of Super Mario on Wii!

New Year's Eve, Anthony, Michelle, Scott, and I went to the Rockets/Mavs game. It was a FANTASTIC game party because the Rockets won (I love winning against the Mavs!) and because we had great seats!

Then, the four of us went to see Eli Young Band play at the Verizon Theater downtown. I LOVE EYB! And we had fun DESPITE the fact that we were the oldest people there! I'm not kidding- Ant and I felt like old fogies! :)  PS- Pictures from that still to come!

Overall the holidays were an amazing break from everything. It gave us the chance to recharge and spend lots of quality time with our wonderful families!

2 comments:

GranDeb said...

It was a super wonderful Christmas/New Year's break! You and Anthony always add so much to all the fun and festivities!!! We were very very happy you made it back from snow country!!! And in pretty good spirits!

---

Chelsea & Nick said...

There is NOTHING more frustrating than being stuck in an airport. We got snowed in last Christmas in Steamboat Springs for 3 days. Now, we had our luggage but we missed a friend's birthday and another friend's wedding. It was miserable!! I feel your pain.