Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Blind Side

The next movie you HAVE to see- The Blind Side!

We saw it this weekend, and it has now earned it's place in my Top 5 All Time Favorite Movies. This is an amazing movie with an incredible message (and based on a TRUE story!).

You can see the trailer and information here... http://www.theblindsidemovie.com/


A homeless black kid from the projects (Michael Oher) is taken in as a charity case by an upscale private (all white) school (the "charity" is actually being wanted for his size and athletic ability). As the movie goes along and shows the horrible conditions this poor child is living in, a southern family takes him in and considers him one of their own. As the movie progresses, his intelligence and athletic ability improve tremendously and he becomes a first round NFL draft pick. His new family is there on this enormous day and celebrates and cheers like any other family would.

This is an inspirational story that shows true love really does exist. As I watched I couldn't help but think of my old students and how similar their lives are to this kid- broken family, drug abuse, not seeing or knowing siblings, one set of clothes, sleeping wherever it was warm, being ridiculed by teachers, etc... I could think of specific kids from my past four years of teaching who mirrored this story in one way or another, and it just broke my heart. I honestly believe I did all that I could at the time for those kids, but I can't help wondering where so many of them are today. I can only hope and pray for them, and know that if each of us continue to help one person in a tiny way, what an impact it will make on so many lives.

I highly recommend this movie to EVERYONE- it will melt your heart and make you want to go out and do something good... I PROMISE, you won't be sorry!


PS- Sandra Bullock was AMAZING in the movie! She reminds me of a lot of sassy southern women... This is by far her best movie!

PPS- Get your tissues- I'm pretty sure I cried through 90% of the movie. It's just so touching! Disclaimer- it's not a "tear jerker" movie, I just cry at things like this! :)

2 comments:

Mindy Rives said...

I CANNOT wait to see this movie!! We may even go tonight! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Michelle said...

It's kind of a tear -jerker, I totally cried too!