Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembrance

Can you believe it's been 8 years since the attacks of 9/11? It's crazy to think that it's been that long since our airports have had that "weird" security thing or that I was awoken by Instant Messages on AIM (yes AIM, not g-chat!) telling me to get up and turn on the TV. They always say that when something significant happens you will never forget where you were or what you were doing that day. I had always heard people say this about the day JFK was shot or of the attack on Pearl Harbor. While I didn't believe all those grown ups that told me that (c'mon, grown ups don't know anything!), it now rings so true with 9/11.

I recently was sent some pictures of that day- the men and women jumping out of the top floors of the WTC, the words "Let's Roll" being embedded in our minds with a whole new meaning, and the picture of the American Flag draped over the Pentagon. Those thoughts and images are rarely with me on a day to day basis- I mean, I have lots of things going on in my life (this is being said with HEAVY sarcasm). But on a day like today, it's good for us to remember those who think about it EVERY day of their lives.

Let's remember the wives who lost husbands, the kids who lost fathers and mothers, the parents who lost children... You know THEY are never too busy to remember that day. And let us also remember the number of men and women who sacrifice their lives on a DAILY basis fighting for our freedom and the freedom of so many others around this world. Whether or not you are supportive of the wars going on across the world, we MUST be supportive of those who dedicate their time and lives to doing this for us. We have to remember that the "soldiers" our media so often refer to are moms and dads, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters. Sometimes I believe we don't do enough to humanize these "soldiers." They are considered this "thing" that we are so quick to judge and forget. What if it was YOUR husband that was over there? What if it was YOUR sister? Let's not forget these brave heroes who work so hard and take so much.

My old church, West Houston Church of Christ, just started a new ministry called "Hearts for our Heroes." My aunt and a group of other believing women realized how sometimes these brave men and women are forgotten. They have developed a group of people to gather care package items, and formed prayer groups to take care of our heroes. Here is the video that they are showing at church to introduce the congregation to their new ministry and remind everyone of the members at the church who have loved ones that are away.



I know that my posts are not usually serious or political or anything other than silly ramblings. But this is something I feel so strongly about. Ever since my sweet cousin Kelli's husband Mark left for Afghanistan, this military world has taken on a whole new meaning to me. I see how hard it is for her to have her new husband gone- and I see how positive she stays the whole time!

In honor of 9/11, let's pause for a moment to remember those whose lives were lost, and those who are fighting for the lives of others.

6 comments:

Jenni said...

very well said, courtney!!

Mike said...

Great post!

Courtney said...

Wonderful!! Love ya :)

Justin and Julie said...

Thanks you for this!

GranDeb said...

You are such a great Patriot and a warm, loving human being. I am in tears even before I get to the video.
We were coming to visit you at A&M when all of this hit. It was such a historic day....never did we dream of everything that would come about after this horrific event.
Our prayers are certainly with Mark and Kelli, as our family members, and also as representatives of our entire Military - past and present - and their families. What a great sacrifice they make for our great country and the freedoms we enjoy!!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Love, Mom

Steph said...

very well said! i will watch the video later... i think if i watch it now i will cry. thanks!