Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Random Tuesday Night in Houston...

Last night my mom and I went to the HARRY POTTER FEAST! "What is that?" you might ask... Well let me just tell you... it's one of my favorite things EVER!

Alamo Drafthouse is a movie theater in Houston and Austin (and maybe SA?) that serves food and beverages while you watch the movie. While I understand this is no "new concept," it's a really cool, laid back atmosphere. So several years ago (almost four to be exact), the original Alamo Drafthouse in Austin had a Harry Potter Feast for the 2nd movie's premiere. They served pumpkin soup (in a carved out pumpkin!), butterbeer, chocolate frogs (not really, they were just chocolates in the shape of frogs), and all kinds of other things from the book that the kids at Hogwarts eat! The food was phenomenal (seriously, even though it WAS from a movie theater!) and they paired wines with each of the five courses. It was seriously awesome. Being huge HP fans, my mom, and Kiki and Aaron, and I TOTALLY loved it!

So we haven't been to or even HEARD of another HP feast until this year! The cool Alamo Drafthouse in Austin had one (of course!) and Kiki and Aaron went. My mom and I were totally bummed that a)Houston didn't have one and b)we didn't go to the one in Austin! Then, on Monday night, Mom got an email from Alamo Drafthouse (the newsletter) that said they were having an HP Feast the NEXT DAY! We QUICKLY purchased tickets and were PUMPED!!!

Fast forward to last night....

When we went in Austin peeps lined up at LEAST an hour before (gen admission) to get good seats. So my mom and I decided we better get there early. It started at 7:30, so I got to her house at 6:05 and we were at the theater by 6:20! Woohoo! We walk in to get in "line" and we walk RIGHT IN to the theater (still wondering why there is no line...). Well, apparently the rest of Houston wasn't quite as excited as we were about the HP Feast, so we were the second couple in the theater. No worries, we got our pick of the seats! hahahah We waited an hour and some others trickled in. This was nothing NEARLY as crowded as Austin, but I still have faith it will catch on here...

The chef came out before the show and explained the menu. The first one we went to had all sorts of Hogwarts cuisine. The one this summer in Austin had British food. Our menu was looking a little confusing- not a trace of either one of those things... So the chef comes out and tells how he was "inspired" to do the menu- magically of course!

The first course was Spiced Red Pepper Soup in a spoon. The soup was DELICIOUS (it was about two bites worth) and was in one of those big soup spoons. The outside of the soup had firmed up some, so as you bit into it all kinds of flavors came out (kind of like a gusher). YUM. The second course was a shrimp ceviche which was delicious. The magic in this is he cooked it while keeping it cold, so that in itself is pretty fun! The third course was MY FAVORITE- caprese salad. Where is the magic in this?! Well, in addition to the traditional caprese salad (mozzarella and tomatoes for those of you who don't know), he took a ball of mozzarella and injected roasted garlic AIR into it and blew it up like a balloon! You seriously had to pop it and then you could eat it! It was SOOOOOOOO good! The fourth course was salmon (same cold cooking theory) with mango caviar and coleslaw- delicious. And the dessert was my SECOND favorite thing. It was a chocolate and strawberry trifle which was TO DIE FOR, with pop rocks all over! So as you ate, you had fireworks going off in your mouth! SOOOOO fun!! Not only was the movie great, the food was OUTSTANDING. This guy needs to open up a real restaurant...

Anyway, I'm sure most of you aren't so excited about the fun food that I ate, but SOME of you might be so I wanted to share! I wish I was a cool chef like that guy....

Thanks, Mom for a fun Tuesday night!

PS- this was our SECOND time to see the move together! We loved it!

3 comments:

Justin and Julie said...

This sounds like SO MUCH FUN! I've never heard of such a thing!!!!!! I'm super jealous- I'm a huge Harry fan!

GranDeb said...

The dinner was magical and we enjoyed it as much as two muggles could!!!
....and we bought the two Harry Potter butter beer glasses!!!! (much like root beer! don't anyone panic!!)

The movie is awesome btw....all you peeps should see it for sure! I think it is also available in 3-D! We should do that too, Courty!!! xoxox

Michelle said...

I am SOOOOOOOO jealous!!!! It sounds yummy! Who doesn't love HP and magic food??? Scott and I saw the movie yesterday ps and I loved it! Except for the whole end part :( So sad...

Hey Courtney, remember that time you told me what happened in the book before I had read it?? Hahaha :D